Plumbing recommendation for Mag 12

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've got a mag 12 and a 75 gallon laying around. I'm looking at using some PVC to make a stream tank design live I've seen on here before. Prefiltered intakes on one end and the pump/output on the other with tubing under the substrate. The mag 12s are designed to tie into 3/4" fittings, but I'm wondering what size of PVC would be best to use and how many prefilters/inlets to keep from potentially starving the pump/cutting flow.

Also would 1200gph(which is the optimal rating) be too much or too little for a 4ft stream tank?

Ultimately, I'd like to get a group of Saffrons and some type of darter that I haven't decided on yet. Along with some others to fill out the tank of course.

Edited by Clayton, 28 August 2009 - 10:17 AM.

#2 Guest_jim graham_*

Guest_jim graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

My first thought was how much heat will the magdrive 1200 add to the water? I wouldn't think it would be too much flow if you are going to use a spray bar to distribute the flow across the entire bottom. Fish can usually find spots to hide from the current.

#3 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

I've considered the heat thing. They are low watt draw pumps, so it should be fairly low. I can stand a bit of a bump since the basement keeps tanks in the mid-high 50s without heaters or pumps in them. If it becomes too much during testing I'll probably have to drill the tank and add a closed loop instead of running the pump submerged.

Just not sure if I want to go with 1" or maybe 1.5" piping instead of 3/4" to make sure the inlet doesn't starve the pump.

Edited by Clayton, 28 August 2009 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users