Crayfish basic needs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

I want to start a crayfish tank for sunfish food. I just learned that he loves them! I fed him one that I caught and it made it a very happy fish. I Need to know how big or small of a tank/container I need, how to prevent escaping, what kind of filtration is needed and anything else that would be helpful. I just want to collect hal a dozen or so then let them breed to get more. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

Well, you need a big tank with lots and lots of hiding places and a really tight fitting lid. They aren't very sociable critters, and they like to go walkabout looking for better and bigger territories. They are also prone to killing each other. Other than that, they are easy to keep. They are hard to kill and easy to feed.

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Well, you need a big tank with lots and lots of hiding places and a really tight fitting lid. They aren't very sociable critters, and they like to go walkabout looking for better and bigger territories. They are also prone to killing each other. Other than that, they are easy to keep. They are hard to kill and easy to feed.

What's big and do u have any idea what kind of filtration would be needed?

Edited by donkeyman876, 31 August 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

If you are truelly trying to breed and raise little ones, I say you need many many smaller containers instead of one large tank - for reasons mentioned by Susan. If you have the space for this operation, I say that is the best bet.

Several smaller containers means you can avoid fighting and them killing one another. Also, you can control who breeds, who needs to be removed and you can easily collect, separate and raise the little ones.

I really don't see how one massive crayfish tank will do you any good - many will be killed, and the babies that aren't eaten will be hard to round up and catch.

ADDED: Maybe if you can only have one large tank, you could use dividers to partition the tank into several, easier to deal with sections. you can use any type of filtration as long as you havea tight-fitting lid. They will certainly enjoy having as much O2 as possible, so many people use air-driven sponge filters in cray breeding setups.

Edited by UncleWillie, 31 August 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Will's idea is better than one big tank. Have a bunch of ten gallon tanks with a female per tank. Male makes conjugal visit to female, then is moved out. Female is moved out after babies are released. When babies are big enough to kill each other, all are removed except one female. Repeat cycle. I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, has anyone tried it?

Filtration, feed and general care for crayfish would be the same as for fish. Nothing special is needed.

#6 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

i don't know how effective breeding crayfish for food would be. maybe try scuds?

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

How are they bred for fishing bait?

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

I had trouble feeding my crawdads meat. they seem to do better when fed wafer pellets.dead fish caused allot of fighting
but they do shed more often on a high meat diet.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

How are they bred for fishing bait?

Ponds. Southern species (Procambarus spp.) in shallow ponds, usually with rice as forage. Northern species (Orconectes spp.) can be raised in ponds, ideally that are fishless, with food chain enhanced by addition of hays.

#10 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

I thought so.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users