first time out.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

well i went out today wtih a couple of friends and came up wtih nothing so tons of fish but hard to catch just wtih a dipnet. How do i go about doing this? do i get a seine net? throw it in the water and pull? i'd love to get into this but need someone to show me the beginner pointers. thanks everyone.
Mike

#2 Guest_jamez_*

Guest_jamez_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Im still new at this too but I would try putting out some minnow traps if you have access to them. Also you said you had a couple of friends that went with you then I would get them and a seine and im sure yall will get bucket loads of fish. :smile2: Goodluck

#3 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

I'm sure you will get better suggestions from others, I did a youtube search and found a couple techniques. The last is most comprehensive if you can get about 1:40 seconds into it before they collect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3LCGXsG6g&feature=related

I like rod and reel myself.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

The short answer for collecting fish with any guarantee of capture is to use a seine. I was using one today by myself (not a great idea, but I wound up by myself) and steadily caught shiners, darters and the odd sculpin in a stream with a lot of flow. Two people pulling a seine is much, much easier and efficient. The trick to using a seine is to make sure the bottom (lead) line remains close to the bottom, because most fish will try to swim under the net. Face the net into some current to keep it belled out, and also make sure you lean the net back some so that you have a "bag" in which the fish will be held once you pull the net up. We should have videos of that around here, but I don't think we do...

#5 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

sounds good. where can i purchase a seine? how much do they run?

#6 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

sounds good. where can i purchase a seine? how much do they run?

I have seen minnow seines at Wally world. Seems like it was $25. Or try http://deltanetandtwine.com/

They are great to deal with.

#7 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

I have seen minnow seines at Wally world. Seems like it was $25. Or try http://deltanetandtwine.com/

They are great to deal with.

i was just at walmart today looking for a new dipnet they had nothing there and its a super walmart..

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

Delta Net and Twine is a reputable company, as is Memphis Twine. Also check the vendors on the Forum, like Jonah's Aquarium. It might cost more, but get a seine of a natural fiber rather than some kind of plastic/nylon. The natural fiber net will set better in the water and close better around fish, and also be less likely to flip or eject fish when you pull the net from the water. For a two-person net in most situations, a net 8 - 12 feet long by four feet deep is long enough without being too long. Note that some states may have tighter rules on seines, like in Pennsylvania if I remember correctly nets are limited to being four feet long and four feet deep. We used 20 foot nets on Nantucket Island in the harbor to collect fish, but that's a bear to pull around especially if you're lucky and net several hundred silvesides or white perch...

#9 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Delta Net and Twine is a reputable company, as is Memphis Twine. Also check the vendors on the Forum, like Jonah's Aquarium. It might cost more, but get a seine of a natural fiber rather than some kind of plastic/nylon. The natural fiber net will set better in the water and close better around fish, and also be less likely to flip or eject fish when you pull the net from the water. For a two-person net in most situations, a net 8 - 12 feet long by four feet deep is long enough without being too long. Note that some states may have tighter rules on seines, like in Pennsylvania if I remember correctly nets are limited to being four feet long and four feet deep. We used 20 foot nets on Nantucket Island in the harbor to collect fish, but that's a bear to pull around especially if you're lucky and net several hundred silvesides or white perch...

yeah in PA its 4x4. are the seines custom made?

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

If you deal with places like Memphis Twine they'll make the net to your specs, in terms of length, mesh size, type of knots, variations in floats or leads. You can often phone in the order and discuss it with them. From Jonah's you would receive an off-the-rack net as described on his site, frankly for most people it would work as well. Check out commentary by the Forum participant Netmaker who is a professional netmaker, producing specialized large nets, for some idea of what the pros think.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

Everything said so far is true... but another option... I bought my first seine at a Bass Pro Shop... and I still use it... the mesh is a little bit large, and I loose some smaller fish... but it has been good for black nose dace, juvenile sunfish, lots of shiners and many darters...

Not sure how common Bass Pro Shops are in your area... down here they are everywhere.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users