• Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

may i had that i love my MRBD.....but in the wild...the saffrons were incredible.

#22 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

is this a riverweed? or striped?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

this place almost killed us as you can see.....not good.
Posted Image

#27 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Posted Image

#28 Guest_jamez_*

Guest_jamez_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

Keep em coming!!! :biggrin: Nice pics and report, really liking the habitat shots.

#29 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

If that riverweed-looking darter is from a Roanoke trib then yes it's a riverweed darter. But if its from another basin then I dunno what it is. Gorgeous Roanoke darter -Ive never seen that much orange on the head/body. The ones i see near Durham (NC) are more green-gold with a bright red dorsal.

#30 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

The slim silvery shiners with black dashes along the LL are probably Tennessee shiners, maybe some Rosyface too. That mutant one is pretty weird. Have you got pix of the Saffrons? In the New River basin both Saffrons and Redlips are present (both presumably introduced) but IME Redlips are more common, at least on the NC side. Thanks for posting pix and story. Wish I coulda joined you!

They were colored up in the creek and were definately saffrons, we were in Virginia nw of the New River.

#31 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

If that riverweed-looking darter is from a Roanoke trib then yes it's a riverweed darter. But if its from another basin then I dunno what it is. Gorgeous Roanoke darter -Ive never seen that much orange on the head/body. The ones i see near Durham (NC) are more green-gold with a bright red dorsal.

It was from a Roanoke trib.

#32 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

Your photos from the window of a moving car turned out very nice. However maybe next time you might leave out the ones with road signs and bridge names! Good thing I'm not too site protective but gee whiz. Guess you won't be going with me to get Bluenose and Bluehead shiners. Not really a big deal where we were but generally considered bad form to give out site info. I'm posting this here not to jump on you cause here it really doesn't matter but it could in some situations. So for you newbies out there if you want site info keep it in mind. Again I can't believe how good your landscape photos came out from a moving car with one hand and one eye with the other on the road.

#33 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Your photos from the window of a moving car turned out very nice. However maybe next time you might leave out the ones with road signs and bridge names! Good thing I'm not too site protective but gee whiz. Guess you won't be going with me to get Bluenose and Bluehead shiners. Not really a big deal where we were but generally considered bad form to give out site info. I'm posting this here not to jump on you cause here it really doesn't matter but it could in some situations. So for you newbies out there if you want site info keep it in mind. Again I can't believe how good your landscape photos came out from a moving car with one hand and one eye with the other on the road.

ha your right. i didnt even think of that!!! my bad

#34 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Rule #1: Sites Stay Sacred.

#35 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

actually the pic of the street sign we didnt collect. it was just a pic. and 2 of the streams posted we didnt even collect at. so it really gives away nothing..

Rule #2 NANFA should let you edit your posts

#36 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:17 AM

I think i'm in Josh's camp: washed-out redline darter based on cheek markings, light areas on caudal peduncle, and lack of blotch at front of spiny dorsal. But i've never seen a live wounded darter so i really dont have a good sense of how much they can vary (or fade in a photo tank).

After reviewing my photos of the wounded darter, I agree with Gerald and Josh that this is just one very oddly colored and patterned redline darter. Sorry for the confusion.

The "riverweed" type darter is one of the barcheeks so striped is an option, among a handful of other possibilities depending on the drainage.

#37 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

actually the pic of the street sign we didnt collect. it was just a pic. and 2 of the streams posted we didnt even collect at. so it really gives away nothing..

Rule #2 NANFA should let you edit your posts

As an FYI, you can edit posts within one hour. We used to allow unlimited edits but this created a different problem. If you would like something edited in this topic, just let me know (via PM if you prefer) and I'd be very happy to help you.

#38 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for that Uland. I had an inkling NANFA had nothing to do with it.

#39 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

it was a joke.

and what do you mean NANFA had nothing to do with it? this board is owned by NANFA. The mods are members on NANFA so they infact have everything to do with the board settings...which i could care less about editing my posts...i got rid of the said pics on my own. and i dont care about secrecy cuz im not one of those " i have to hog all the fish and not tell anyone muahahahaha" thats not me. i share with people in hopes that they would share with me....in all reality you could go to any creek down there and catch all the fish we did. there is nothing to hide.

#40 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

There is concern that these beautiful little fish could achieve commercial value, in which case some of them would get wiped out completely. Look what commercial fish collecting did to some of the pretty salt water fish in the Keys, all but gone now.

The vendors that post here are very responsible and only sell legally collected species that are fairly common. Not everyone has these good principles, though, and not everyone will be so discriminating with the endangered and special concern species. With places like aquabid, anyone can go into business and empty a stream. These forums are open to public view, and Google does pick up on the contents quickly, text and photos.

Right now, at least in places like KY, TN, and VA, collecting is remarkably unregulated, unlike some of the western states where it's all but forbidden. It will stay that way, provided the privilige is not abused. I've thought in the past that perhaps the NANFA crew might be a bit too protective, but on further reflection, better too cautious than not cautious enough. Once the genie is out of the bottle... I don't look at it as secrecy, just prudence. Mum's the word, at least in searchable sections of the forums.

Gorgeous catch, by the way. It's probably a 3 hour drive for me. Got to get over there next spring.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users