West Virginia - brook trout/camping sites?

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

OK, maybe only on topic because brook trout are native.

My husband and I are planning a week-long camping / fly-fishing trip to West Virginia the week of September 27. We are particularly fond of smaller streams, especially those with brook trout. In part, because the landscape can be more interesting, and there tend to be fewer people. Problem is that I am the only one who has been to WV, and that was only once (for a class at the NCTC in Shepherdstown). As part of the class, we visited a number of local streams and I liked the aesthetics of the area very much. Since then, I've been wanting to make this trip. The specific nature of the problem is that we are trying to figure out where to go for both camping and fishing. Hoping maybe someone knows some areas in WV that might fit the bill.

Preferences are:
1) Campground for tents with showers(it will be for a week, after all)
2) Fishing where we will not be elbow-to-elbow with other anglers.
3) Preferably on the eastern side of the state, so we aren't driving an entire day to get there (coming from SE Virginia)

We don't need to catch large fish. Little 4" brookies are OK. We would like to catch a good number, though, as this is what half the fun is about. Catch/release of all brook trout, maybe an occasional non-native trout would be eaten. Usually we don't keep anything at all. Difficult access is OK, so long as we won't be so tired as to not be able to go again the following day! Tiny streams OK; I'll be bringing my 2-weight.

We have Beasely's book "Fly Fishing Virginia", which describes the special regulation streams in WV. Some of these look promising, but I can't seem to find one with a nearby campground that has showers. The Blackwater looks good, but I am afraid of the hike back up from the gorge - might be too much to do on a daily basis.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Locations can remain sacred information. PMs welcome.

Lastly, we can't figure out if there is a "closed" season. 'Twould be a shame to get all the way up there and find out we can't fish.

If too off topic, post can be deleted; no hurt feelings.

#2 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Seneca Rocks is a great place to go. You should be able to find plenty of camp grounds around the area. Fish the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River. It is a wonderful place to fish. If you are interested in a cheap but very clean and newly remodeled motel the Appalachian Cabins and Motel is a great place to stay for only $44.00 a night including small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, access to North Fork, campfire pit with free wood (best way to cook trout).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users