30 galllon stocking q's

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

This weekend i will pick up a thirty gallon tank. I want to stock it with some dace,
maybe some other type of minnow, madtoms, blackside darters, Greenside darter and if i can find a good rainbow darter. I want to do 3-4 redside dace or southern redbellie dace, 3 redfin shiners,2 madtoms,2 blacksides,2 greensides and 2 rainbows. filtration will be by a quality hob type filter and a large power head on a sponge filter.
what do you think will this work in my tank?

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

some people will say no madtoms. which i agree. they dont seem to fit in a dace and darter tank. you cant go wrong with darters. darters will bring the most enjoyment. you would hardly see the madtoms. you could probably do ALOT more darters. the more dace you get the less food the darters will get. red side dace are nice. mine continue to have color. although my new fav dace is the mountain redbelly dace. but i would say go with darters and dace :)

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

This weekend i will pick up a thirty gallon tank. I want to stock it with some dace,
maybe some other type of minnow, madtoms, blackside darters, Greenside darter and if i can find a good rainbow darter. I want to do 3-4 redside dace or southern redbellie dace, 3 redfin shiners,2 madtoms,2 blacksides,2 greensides and 2 rainbows. filtration will be by a quality hob type filter and a large power head on a sponge filter.
what do you think will this work in my tank?

Greensides are OK, but they get very big if well fed... and they will eat you our of snails almost as fast as you can throw 'em in (whichi s fun to watch, but makes it hard to ahve any snails around to help with algae clean up). Not sure where you are locted and what other local darters you have to chose from, but if I was just starting out I would skip the greensides. I have no experience with redfin shiners, but I believe that these too can get wuite large... maybe a nice notropis would fit better in a 30 gallon tank. Although I think the previous poster was correct about madtoms being seldom seen... some of them can be quite fun to spot once or twice a week... again, depends on what your local species are...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users