Looking for Orangespots and Orangethroats

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

I will be taking a three day herping trip NW Ohio and on my way home I am planning on hitting the Lake Erie shoreline for various herp species. On that last day I wouldn't mind throwing a siene a looking for some fish, where specificially I would like to get for my tank Orangespot Sunnies and Orangethroat Darters. I have captured the darters before and have an idea of habitats, but I have never seen the sunfish.

I am essentially looking for areas close to the Lakeshore where I have a good shot at either fish, or especially in the case of the sunfish, what habitats I should be focusing on.

Thanks for any help.

PMs if you don't want to broadcast localities.

Andy

#2 Guest_Warmouth19_*

Guest_Warmouth19_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

the only places ihave ever caught orange sunnies is the fremont ohio dam which is the sandusky river is a great spot i caught five this weekend hunting minnows, another good spot is the grand rapids dam.

#3 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the advice on here and those of your who sent a PM. I was able to spend a little time catching fish and ended up seeing and catching my first ever Orangespots. Unforunately they were all very small so I have a few in a growout tank until they get some size on 'em.

I was on the Maumee and also caught my first Brook Silverside and Mississippi Grass Shrimp - the shrimp was actually my favorite catch.

Andy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users