Where Have The Golden's Gone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

ok it has gotten a lil cooler in the last 2 weeks...but i mean there are NO golden shiners. i was catching unlimited amount with my net 3 weeks ago....and now i have gone to the same spot and dont even see any. yet im catching very small bluegill babies....under and inch. are the parents of the bluegill eating the shiners? is it to cold? i mean how could they ALL just be gone. there was always an abundance of both fish in here. and ive caught on hook and line 10".....is there something i should know about goldens when the weather is cold?

correction GONE> hahahah

#2 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hard to say for sure. Jenkins and Burkhead mention that N. crysoleucas will parallel plankton blooms in late summer, taking them to different areas. Spawning occurs from April to August and may extend into October, ironically they are known to spawn over bluegill nest (again from Jenkins Burkhead). So this might be what you were seeing 3 weeks ago.

#3 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

I was out in the Myles Standish State Park area catching them on hook and line for bait like crazy. I caught a couple huge samples (over 8-9inches) but I rarely keep thoses, dont want to hurt the mama fishes. 6 to 3 inches and under is perfect. I noticed huge schools of peanuts, (2 inches and under) jumping around and tearing apart my bread ball chum, maybe you can entice them into an area??

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:25 AM

Justin,

I think what you're seeing is the mass migration of fish to deeper water in winter. It happens here in Wisconsin, too. The weather will get cold and all of a sudden the fish, which were previously abundant, are just gone. I guess I don't know for sure that they go to deeper water, as I haven't gone scuba diving in deep pools in the winter, but that is my suspicion. They certainly aren't in the shallow water, because if they were I'd be catching them.

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users