ID Help - More like confirmation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

I believe this is Java Fern. Looking for confirmation.Attached File  jf.jpeg   76.78KB   1 downloads

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

That looks like java fern to me. The roots are rather distinctive, too.

#3 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

That looks like java fern to me. The roots are rather distinctive, too.

I thought Java Fern was rootless like Hornwort or Java Moss. Glad I asked. It is Java Fern because it has roots. That's what made me question it. Thanks for the quick reply.

If it is a rooted plant why do people attach it as opposed to putting it in the substrate?

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

The roots are used to cling to things by the plant. If you attach it to a rock or piece of wood with some fishing line or a rubber band, the roots will grab onto it. You can also just weigh it down and it will grab hold of gravel. I've never tried it with sand. Just don't plant it like a regular plant.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:36 AM

You don't want to plant it like a regular plant because the rhizome will suffocate if covered. Suffocated rhizome = dead Java Fern.

Brian

#6 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

The roots are used to cling to things by the plant. If you attach it to a rock or piece of wood with some fishing line or a rubber band, the roots will grab onto it. You can also just weigh it down and it will grab hold of gravel. I've never tried it with sand. Just don't plant it like a regular plant.

They don't hold well to sand in my experience. They'll grow fine, but any disturbance has a tendency to uproot them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users