First Collecting Trip

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

I went collecting today at a local creek using the 1 man seine method. I think I got some black nose dace or Creek suckermouth minnows not sure , creek chubsuckers, common shiners and Tesselated darters. But not sure. Just seeing if some of you can help. Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heres where I got them from

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NYnativekeeper716, 20 October 2009 - 11:27 AM.

#2 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Heres a couple more of the smaller darter I got once I put him in the tank :) Now that I look at hime, I think he may be a Greenside Darter (Etheostoma blennioides)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NYnativekeeper716, 20 October 2009 - 11:57 AM.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Your darters are Rainbow Darters. You definitely got stonerollers too, and in the tank picture I see at least one bluntnose minnow.

#4 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

Your darters are Rainbow Darters. You definitely got stonerollers too, and in the tank picture I see at least one bluntnose minnow.

Thanks, yea, I ws trying to figure out what the one with the olive and dark speckles was. Definately looks like a stoneroller. Darters colors arent showing that great, I didnt think it was a raindow, it looks kinda drab

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

I agree with Derek (female rainbow?), and are two of the shiners in the back of the group in the tank shot common shiners?

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

I think female Rainbows as well. Thought I saw a blacknose dace in the tank as well.

Hit the riffles again, you're sure to find a nice male rainbow.

#7 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

I think female Rainbows as well. Thought I saw a blacknose dace in the tank as well.

Hit the riffles again, you're sure to find a nice male rainbow.

Ill definately have to hit the same spot again. I was only out there for 30 minutes and got these. If I have a whole afternoon, im sure ill snag something nice

#8 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

Nice!! The first pic is a white sucker. And it does look like some Luxilus in the tank picture. Looks like striped shiner.

#9 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

Photo 1-Common sucker 2 & 3 - rainbow darter 4 - central stoneroller minnow 5 ? 6 - top 2 common shiners, 1 middle up front bluntnose minnow most of rest are stonerollers

#10 Guest_NYnativekeeper716_*

• Guests

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Photo 1-Common sucker 2 & 3 - rainbow darter 4 - central stoneroller minnow 5 ? 6 - top 2 common shiners, 1 middle up front bluntnose minnow most of rest are stonerollers

Thanks !

#11 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:15 AM

I agree for the most part with Mike.

Photo 1: White Sucker (Catostomus commersoni)
Photos 2 & 3: Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)
Photo 4: Central Stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum)
Photo 5: Bluntnose Minnow? (Pimephales notatus)
Photo 6: top 2 Common Shiners (Luxilus cornutus), 1 middle up front Bluntnose Minnow, rest are Central Stonerollers, with the possible exception of one near the Bluntnose Minnow, which may be a Blacknose Dace (Rhinichthys atratulus). That is the fish that looks like he has a dark stripe almost to the very end of the snout.

I have to agree that your second set of darter pictures appear to be Rainbow Darters. Non-breeder males and females have that drab coloration. Nice catches, though! Oh, and I love the look of your tank, by the way!

Brian

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users