Brown Algae and white film

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:13 AM

My tank is about 2 months old. Seems to be fully cycled. Trace ammonia, no nitrites, and trace nitrates. Very heavily planted and plants are doing very well. Problem is brown algae is all over them. It is also on the glass but I clean all but the back glass of it.

From what I read this is normal in a newly established tank. I have never experienced it before. Is there an estimated turning point where it goes away and green algae establishes itself? My tank would be gorgeous without it due to how well my plants are doing. I was thinking of adding a phosphate remover to my canister filter but decided against after reading it will go away on it's own accord. Any ideas on about when that happens?

Also are any of my scavengers (snails, blackworms, and ghost shrimp) eating it?

I've read peroxide helps but runs the potential of hurting the more delicate of the plants so do not want to go that route either.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

My tank had half-inch-deep snowdrifts of diatoms for two months. It's not phosphate so much as silica that's usually the limiting factor for them. Vacuuming out the existing algae will take much of the free silica too, while grazers will simply make the silica available for more new algae.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users