River fish in winter

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jrhodo_*

Guest_jrhodo_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

I'm wondering what you have observed about river fish as the water temperatures drop. Where do they spend the winter?

Thanks!

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm wondering what you have observed about river fish as the water temperatures drop. Where do they spend the winter?

Thanks!

not sure, this is puzzling me myself. Some sections of river once full of fish are now devoid of them while others seem unaffected. Even some deep pools emptied out now. Some species such as longnose and blacknose dace seem to have completely vanished.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

Most fish will be in deep pools with some flow so they remain oxygenated during ice cover. How many of us are likely to sample winter water 2 meters deep without a boat? Not me....

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

Most fish will be in deep pools with some flow so they remain oxygenated during ice cover. How many of us are likely to sample winter water 2 meters deep without a boat? Not me....

Your lucky, i wish i could navigate waterways by boat in the dead of winter. the water up here gets a little too solid at that time of year.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

I remember we had a discussion on this very subject a year ago. Did a little searching and found it"

http://forum.nanfa.o...-in-the-winter/

Hope it helps a little.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users