Sunfish ID please?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

I've spent about a month trying to figure this guy out and am still not 100% certain. He was found in Southeast Pennsylvania in Neshaminy Creek, which drains into the Delaware River if that's important at all. He looks like a redbreast, but the head shape looks different from other redbreast youngsters I've seen...

Attached File  P1000426.JPG   4.08MB   4 downloads

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Looks like a green sunfish. Do you have longear in your stream?

#3 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Looks like a green sunfish. Do you have longear in your stream?

I considered green sunfish but I've been looking all over the internet for young greens and none I've seen have that those blue stripes under the eyes. Then again, I'm new to this fish thing. :blush:

I honestly don't know about longears in the creek. All I've seen about this creek is that it has "sunfish." I was collecting banded killifish and when I found this little guy.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

Green sunfish are highly variable. Judging by the size of it's mouth, I would say it's either a warmouth or a green, and I'm gonna go with green. Can you get a better full-body picture? Green sunfish have a black spot at the base of the soft dorsal and anal fins.

#5 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

Green sunfish are highly variable. Judging by the size of it's mouth, I would say it's either a warmouth or a green, and I'm gonna go with green. Can you get a better full-body picture? Green sunfish have a black spot at the base of the soft dorsal and anal fins.

How about a hybrid of some kind? Natural sunfish hybrids are not uncommon.

#6 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

Well I looked at him from the side. Definitely has the dark spot on the soft dorsal. The anal fin gets darker near where it connects to the botdy, but it's not like a spot. More like a smear if that makes any sense?

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

I can not see well enough to rule out hybrid but even if hybrid, green is involved.

#8 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

My vote is a green sunfish. Mine looked exactly like that until they were about four months old.

#9 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

Does not look like a typical green sunfish im use to, I'm leaning more towards warmouth.. Need a better photo showing entire body...

#10 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Some more photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

I think it is a warmouth

here is a picture of my warmouth at about 1" - 1.5"

Posted Image

your fish defiantly has more pattern and color but my fish even today is very pale compared to warmouth i have caught and others i have seen in tanks.

the mouth hinge location in relation to the eye, eye size, and body shape are very close on both fish

here is the fish as of a few months ago (in case you are interested)

Posted Image

#12 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

sunny whereabouts do you live? i also got my sunnies and bullhead from the neshaminy creek. i live in horsham

#13 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

sunny whereabouts do you live? i also got my sunnies and bullhead from the neshaminy creek. i live in horsham

In the USA :P .

I forget whereabouts in Bucks County we were but that's the county I was in.

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

Fish at start of thread is a green sunfish.

#15 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

Based on the new photos I think green sunfish is more likely, especially due too the light margins on the dorsal, anal, and cadual fins. It still looks slightly defferent than the greens I'm used to here in Mid-Missouri, But I can't put my fingure on it. I still wouldn't rule out the hybrid possiblility, there is a couple places in my area where the hybrid out numbers the pure Usualy F1(L.cyanellus X L.macrochirus) but they commonly hybridize with longear aswell in some streams.

#16 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the ID guys.

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:52 AM

I would agree with the ID of green sunfish as well.

#18 Guest_minnowmagnet_*

Guest_minnowmagnet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

i have warmouth and green sunfish fry and i think it is a warmouth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users