Anyone raise microfex (dero worms)?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ramiro_*

Guest_Ramiro_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

It seems like they're worth it even though they're expensive and take a little work. A tiny worm high in protein would be of great use.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

I have a friend who is somewhat of a live food expert. He gave me cultures of them on two different occasions, and I'm not exactly sure how, but I managed to screw them up both times. I may try again and ask for coaching, because they are awesome little critters, and the second batch of them I had seemed to be reproducing fairly quickly.

#3 Guest_Ramiro_*

Guest_Ramiro_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

I have a friend who is somewhat of a live food expert. He gave me cultures of them on two different occasions, and I'm not exactly sure how, but I managed to screw them up both times. I may try again and ask for coaching, because they are awesome little critters, and the second batch of them I had seemed to be reproducing fairly quickly.

I read a little bit about them in a betta book this morning. The author fed heavily every day and changed 75% of their water once a day. Apparently they need good water quality and lots of food but not too little or the culture crashes from the ones that die-off I guess. That must be why they're tricky.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

...on two different occasions, and I'm not exactly sure how, but I managed to screw them up both times...

Ditto; I have tried twice and have not succeeded.

#5 Guest_Loki_*

Guest_Loki_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

they're much more easier to take care than microworms and less smelly!!!!!!!

My trick was to have daphnia with em- I fed the daphnia an alage wafer to make infusia (spelling) bloom and the daphnia fed off that and the the worms fed off other stuff- it was a dependent relationship with each other- the only trick was to use aged water- I aged my tap water for such like 2 weeks at a time-

Cheers

#6 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

Where did you get your original stock?

#7 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

Are they the same as whiteworms? I've seen those guys cultured those on peat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users