Collecting Asian swamp eels.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:03 AM

Well this coming weekend, my buddies and I are planning to go collecting Asian swamp eels. However, it IS November, and the temps are hitting the mid fifties. Have any of you gone collecting these guys(I know they're invading more than one state)? I'm wondering if I'll have to dig them out, or if there's another way to round these fellows up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

Well I found nothing. Would they be active at night at this time of year? Or do they bury under the mud?

#3 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

I checked the NJ Fish and Game site and it says that back in September they proposed amendments to the regulations, including adding the Asian swamp eel to the list of potentially dangerous fish(a list already including the green sunfish...which I found odd) that cannot be owned. Whether or not this revision was made, the site does not say, but if it did, I wonder if it'd be possible to get a permit to collect one for scientific purposes.

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

You just need to find rice paddies. Duh!

The swamp eel below was collected in November 2009, but within native range of M. albus...

Hopefully management agencies will get ahead of the curve and find a way to stop the spread of these things in the U.S.

Rather than trying to keep them in your aquarium (they get big and have a tendency to try to escape), may I recommend killing it at site of capture: a rub of minced ginger, crushed red pepper, sea salt; grilling them skin-side down over low coals; and a bit of soy sauce...

cheers,
Dave

Attached Files

#5 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

You just need to find rice paddies. Duh!

The swamp eel below was collected in November 2009, but within native range of M. albus...

Hopefully management agencies will get ahead of the curve and find a way to stop the spread of these things in the U.S.

Rather than trying to keep them in your aquarium (they get big and have a tendency to try to escape), may I recommend killing it at site of capture: a rub of minced ginger, crushed red pepper, sea salt; grilling them skin-side down over low coals; and a bit of soy sauce...

cheers,
Dave

Well officials do regularly go down to electrofish them out. While I would not mind killing them and eating them(I really doubt the cleanliness of this lake...Canada geese all over the lake, and I've seen trash), I think it would be beneficial to understand the behaviors of this animal to gain an edge on how to capture them, and for the sake of science(this population has disproven the belief that they cannot survive in lakes that ice over in winter...it'd sure be nice to know how they do it!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users