Collecting in Japan

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

I realize this has little to do with North American fishes, but NANFAns are a knowledgeable bunch of people, so I've come to you for guidance.

I am going to visit my brother in Japan come April. I hope to do some snorkeling and possibly netting while there. I am trying to marshall resources now and not having a lot of luck.

So far I have:

A list of Japanese fishes that may be found in freshwater.

A series of broken links to do with a thorough but unaffordable two-volume set covering all fishes in Japanese waters.

A few explanations of the peculiar site-by-site fishing "license" arrangement prevalent in Japan, which do not mention regulations for netting, non-sport species, or saltwater.

Ideally I want the equivalent of Peterson field guides to freshwater fishes and near-shore marine fishes (and herps and shellfish, while I'm wishing) and some kind of handle on collecting regulations. Can any of you help me?

#2 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Sounds like a fun trip Nathan! As far as regulations, I have no idea. But for field guides, etc.... the links below might help.

Field Guide to Amphbians and Reptiles of Japan

Fishes of Japan

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. I believe Dave Neely has spent some time in Asia collecting fish and might be able to help you.

Blake

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, Blake! The links are helpful, though I fear I won't be able to plunk down $120 a pop on field guides AND get a waterproof camera. Decisions, decisions...

I will probably be on Honshu for the entirety of the trip, so regional guides that cover only that island or parts thereof would be very helpful. My brother lives in the general vicinity of Tokyo. I'm working on a list of places I want to visit; so far Lake Biwa is at the top of the list. It's Japan's largest lake and one of the world's oldest, sort of a mini-Baikal, with high aquatic diversity and lots of endemics.

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

That is a really nice list of fish you've found there. Always heartbreaking to see so many introduced species though...

#5 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, Blake! The links are helpful, though I fear I won't be able to plunk down $120 a pop on field guides AND get a waterproof camera. Decisions, decisions...

Ohhhh Nathan, you can always get id's at a later date..... ;)

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:23 PM

I agree with Lance (even if he was just being smart ;)). Get the camera, and get the pictures! You can make a rudimentary field guide from Fishbase, and that will help you familiarize yourself in preparation.

You will also want to do some ichthyology work at any fish markets, especially the biggun in Tokyo if you're going there.

You might post on some of the aquatic plant forums around the net to see if you can't land yourself some more local expertise.

Other than that, I have absolutely no advice (just encouragement) and a heap of jealousy! :)

Todd

#7 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

Try these:

http://homepage2.nif...anto/index.html
http://homepage2.nif...o/kanto_z1.html

http://tansuigyoclub.art.coocan.jp/

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

Thanks guys!

Lance- True, but if I don't know what features are important for ID, my photos may not be terribly useful.

Todd- I've started on the Fishbase-based guide. It's just those gobies--so many, so similar!--and the lack of detailed range and morphology info for most species. I'm determined to find some salangichthyids (noodlefish). Fishmarkets are probably the best bet for those, I guess, since I doubt I'll be able to net them from the shallows. I wonder how hard it would be to get a big jar of formalin in and out of the country... Hitting the aquatic plant forums is a good idea. Maybe some of Amano's acolytes hang out on the English-language fora.

Tricolor- My browser can't handle the font in those links, but that's probably a sign that I wouldn't be able to read it anyhow. Beautiful pics though.

#9 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

Maybe you can copy and paste these links into google language tools [and translate English into English :laugh:].

#10 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

I don't know about formalin. Dilute isopropyl or vodka have worked for friends in the past. I'd be more worried about having tissue, even if it's dead. They can't confiscate or detain you for pixels, so I'd probably just go the photo route :) I've heard too many border horror stories to ever bother with it.

Todd

#11 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

I won't try to take tissue out unless I can get proper permits first- I have no desire to get in hot water with customs! I'm just worried some more delicate specimens might not fare well without formalin fixation. I suppose I could try to get some formalin in Japan. I know the US regs on shipping formalin-preserved specimens by air, I just have to figure out the Japanese regs. Dave Neely suggested I find a contact at one of the Japanese universities; I think I'll do that and see if they can help me.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users