Freshwater fishes of CT

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Attached is a PDF of a paper recently published by a graduate student in my lab (Alex Dornburg), an associate of our museum (Jon Moore), and our collection manager (Gregory Watkins-Colwell). The paper communicates their effort to document the distribution of freshwater fishes in Connecticut using museum specimens.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Tom!
It may not get said very often, but I for one very much appreciate the articles you post!

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

Nice stuff. I hope you guys are negotiating a publishing deal? The state needs it (and throw in RI, too).

#4 Guest_TonsOfFun5_*

Guest_TonsOfFun5_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

What a shame the state has been so poorly documented! I live in Tolland County (which the article mentioned as being severely underrepresented) and I did not see my town listed at all even though I know there are plenty of fish! Posted Image So I can vouch for the underrepresentation. I know of at least 20 species that can be found just in my town, and Im sure I havent found them all. I think it would be a really cool project (though an enormous task) to create a documented list of sampled species that can be found in every town in the state and in which body of water they can be found. I would love to help with the sampling part! Posted Image Even the DEP doesnt seem to have a complete list in their Anglers Guide unless they chose to leave out species they felt wouldnt attract anglers. How would one go about getting species documented from a specific location?

#5 Guest_TomNear_*

Guest_TomNear_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

The best, and only way, is to help make collections. If you are interested we can get you set up to do this through the Peabody Museum. You can send me a PM and we can set up getting you on our CT collecting permit and outfit you with the gear that you would need. It would be great to have Tolland County better represented.

What a shame the state has been so poorly documented! I live in Tolland County (which the article mentioned as being severely underrepresented) and I did not see my town listed at all even though I know there are plenty of fish! Posted Image So I can vouch for the underrepresentation. I know of at least 20 species that can be found just in my town, and Im sure I havent found them all. I think it would be a really cool project (though an enormous task) to create a documented list of sampled species that can be found in every town in the state and in which body of water they can be found. I would love to help with the sampling part! Posted Image Even the DEP doesnt seem to have a complete list in their Anglers Guide unless they chose to leave out species they felt wouldnt attract anglers. How would one go about getting species documented from a specific location?

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

Looking forward to seeing it come out.

I have a 1996 edition of the Whitworth book. It's not exactly chock full of information and the illustrations MIGHT look current in a 1796 edition.

Oddly, as a kid I had either the '68 or '76 edition, a pamphlet really, but my memory was it had more natural history and better illustration. Unfortunately it didn't follow me into adulthood so I was excited when the '96 addition came out. I was very surprised that it wasn't as I remembered it. Although there was some new data re new introduced species, it seems they left stuff out. Or my memory is wrong.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for posting this, Tom. In my work with Bass Pro, I'm constantly searching for fish distribution maps for each state. This paper may help quite a bit when I get around to working in that part of the country.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users