Habitat and nesting improvement for native fish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DavidPT40_*

Guest_DavidPT40_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

One of the limiting factors in lakes and rivers is the suitable nesting habitats for native fish. Smallmouth, Largemouth, and even Sunfish all prefer some type of rocky substrate to breed and deposit eggs on. I know that the American Fishery Society has done experiments in the Ohio River with "Bass Buckets", which are simply 5 gallon buckets filled with gravel to give Largemouth Bass a suitable breeding substrate. I've also read that lake chubs substantially benefit from angled boards put in the shallow waters of lake shores, as they deposit their eggs on the underside of these.

What I am looking for is a guide to artificial nesting habitats for many different species of native fish, especially gamefish and their prey. Anyone know where I can find one of these?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

I find it hard to believe that largemouth or bluegills, for instance, need help to breed in any but the most messed-up, silt-laden systems (like the Emory River after the coal ash spill a year ago...). But what the hell it's all in good fun.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

Actually in quite a few of the non-run of river impoundments in Tennessee the spawning habitat is very poor nest builders. If you think about it they flooded steep river valleys. There are very few gentle sloping banks, most are straight down or shelves made up of slab rock and boulders. On top of that, those lakes tend to see tremendous winter drawdowns and haven't been at normal summer pool with that much frequency. A general fisheries management text might be a good place to look for information about habitat enhancement. There are several more species specific management books that AFS has put out that will likely have even more detailed information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users