feeder tank darter rescue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

I got this guy a year ago from my lfs. He was in either the feeder shrimp or guppy tank, I forget. I keep forgetting to ask where they get their feeders from but anywho here he is.

Posted Image

I am leaning towards saw cheek as he has the 2 dots at the end of the caudal peduncle and seems to lack the over all mottling I am used to seeing from swamp darter photos. Here he is very light but even when he is dark after coming out of a cave, he doesn't have the dark and prominent freckles. He is still very small, maybe 1.5". The head shape seems right but I still don't know for sure. He is also very translucent which made me think glassy but the head shape seems wrong.

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

swamp darter bleached out due to light coloured gravel. I get them all the time in fact I have an entire species tank for them that all came from LFS feeder tanks.

Also swamp darters have a massive range I would think local variations in colour to be very common in fact mine that I got out of the feeder tanks look nothing like the ones I have seen in coastal Georgia.

Edited by killier, 03 January 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

As far as I have been able to learn, feeder shrimp sold in the eastern US come almost exclusively from peninsular Florida. I haven't asked about guppies but I believe they follow the same pattern. This should help you narrow your choices.

Almost every darter I have seen in shrimp tanks at my local shops has been E. fusiforme, though I believe I saw an E. edwini once.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users