50 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Carp DNA found closer to the lake
New samples from waterway north of downtown Chicago turn out positive
http://www.jsonline....n/81177687.html

Environmental DNA samples taken in recent weeks reveal that Asian carp apparently have infested another waterway just below the shores of Lake Michigan, this time north of downtown Chicago, the Journal Sentinel has learned.

Now a fresh batch of tests reveals that the carp have made their way up the northern branch of the Chicago River north of Chicago. That river has a direct connection to Lake Michigan via a "sluice gate" and pumps operated by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago.

That system sucks Lake Michigan water into the North Shore Channel, which flows into the Chicago River, and it is one of the structures the state of Michigan - backed by Wisconsin, Ohio, New York and Minnesota - wants to close. The system also acts as a safety valve in big rains, sending floodwater backward through the gate and into Lake Michigan.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

I don't know if a sluice gate can be "slammed" but if it is possible, that is exactly what needs to happen. Right now.

#3 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

I don't know if a sluice gate can be "slammed" but if it is possible, that is exactly what needs to happen. Right now.

I guess Illinois is being pressed in state and federal court to do whatever it takes by all the surrounding states on the Great Lakes. Sadly I don't have a lot of faith in courts moving expeditiously. And from what I hear that area of the state reeks in corruption. :roll:

#4 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

Considering that Silver carp were found just below the barriers better than a year ago and we now know the barriers are not working, it's a pretty good bet the carp are already in Lake Michigan. I'd guess they'll start showing up in nearby rivers in a few years. I still think we need to close the canals for obvious reasons but I'm afraid it's too late to stop the Silver carp.

I also recall Bighead Carp coming from the Skokie Lagoons for quite a few years now.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

Yeah, those locks need to be closed, like now! Anybody else find it interesting that these reports all seem to reach the media through the Milwaukee newspaper, and not Chicago??

Brian

#6 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

Who's up for some silver carp harpooning? :mrgreen:

It is sad how many invasive species are already in the Great Lakes; gobies, zebra mussels, etc. Do silver carp taste any good? :D/

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

I've heard that the various large Asian carps are good eating, with surprisingly light, flaky flesh. Recent Asian immigrants are a market for these fish, but that's still pretty small. Larger demand would certainly help to keep the populations in check, hopefully.

#8 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

I would imagine they taste as good as other fish from the same water but Illinois needs to change some regulations before people of this state can do anything to impact populations. Commercial fishing isn't even allowed in many areas where Silver carp are running rampant. Specific Asian carp commercial regulations should be considered. I've snagged many Silver carp but you can't keep snagged fish in Illinois unless it's in season and relatively close to a dam...Ugh. I'm forced to simply throw all of my silver carp away when I'm angling for other fish. Silver Carp that are netted cannot be kept either. Since Asian carp are unmistakable in appearance, these restrictions seem silly. I had hopes the state would create a little incentive for carp removal in 2010 considering all of the attention but I see the 2010 regulations don't offer any help.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

NANFA member Travis Haas post this in another "forum":

http://www.wlf.louis...v/news/?id=1664

I also think it should be pointed out that "...efforts to reach Notre Dame biologist David Lodge for comment were unsuccessful." consisted of an email on Monday when he was tied up at the Shedd all day and then read it Tuesday when he arrived at his hotel for a conference in NC. I don't envy his situation at all.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 13 January 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#10 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

I'm sure anyone paying attention has already seen this, but for now they're not closing the locks: http://www.reuters.c...911430620100119

#11 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

That's very disappointing. I think it's shortsighted, they are choosing to avoid inconvenience now and ignoring disaster later.

#12 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

The powers that be would never put stopping Carp on a high enough priority list to stop this spread. I think invasive things are a horrible thing but life goes on. I forget his SN but the guy in FL that goes on all the collecting trips and comes back with Ciclids and Oscars, and Plecos, etc.

All just another example of mankind destroying its own home. Stuff like this doesn't phase me anymore. I do not have the power to stop it other than voting and nobody I vote for is going to make it stop unless it puts money in their pockets.

#13 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

These carp are going to destroy the Great Lakes I fear.

#14 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

I do too. :(

Brian

#15 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

These carp are going to destroy the Great Lakes I fear.

Great Lakes have already been destroyed.. I'd be hesitant in thinking this will do any worse than the Sea Lamprey a century before or the Zebra and Quagga mussels. Not to mention the wholesale destruction of the native fauna by caused by Damming, Armoring shorelines, sediment, chemical dumping and sewage.

Media hype over this subject is just getting stupid and nauseating. Silver and bighead carp are not Voracious predators eating all in their wake.. They are pelagic plankton feeders for the most part (however they are opportunistic). We really do not know how they will affect a system like Lake Michigan at all and have no idea at all that they will even survive once introduced. The ideal situation was to never allow them close so we never had to work this out. Right now they are already here, they are in the system and we all knew they would be eventually. Now it is a wait a see on how they will fit into the already screwed up lakes. With some luck they just never really take hold (like the ruffe or Tubenose goby). Worst case they follow the Lamprey model, but I doubt it. Most likely they will follow the Round goby model. They will colonize the warmer waste places in mass and then falter and die back as different species learn to utilize them and adapt to them. They have not destroyed the Mississippi basin and they likely will never have a chance to destroy the Great lakes. I do seriously fear them entering the St. clair and Western erie basin though. Here they could actually cause some damage to what is a just recovering system.

#16 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

I do agree the Great Lakes have been screwed up for some time and are full of non native fishes

Edited by Gambusia, 21 January 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#17 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

well i would think with the vast waters of the great lakes there wouldnt be a plankton shortage, yea sure some areas might get depleted with them but for the most part there would be a ton of plankton for every plankton-eater to go around

#18 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

well i would think with the vast waters of the great lakes there wouldnt be a plankton shortage, yea sure some areas might get depleted with them but for the most part there would be a ton of plankton for every plankton-eater to go around

No there really is not much... Outside of most direct inputs from rivers, Lake Michigan may as well be a dead and dry desert to a plankton feeder.

#19 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, those locks need to be closed, like now! Anybody else find it interesting that these reports all seem to reach the media through the Milwaukee newspaper, and not Chicago??

Brian

Good point catfish, I know after bass fishing tournaments (Tablerock lake)here there is a high mortality rate for the released bass....why not have more non-native tournaments for spearfishing of carp (and polefishing) in the midwest and cichlid tournaments in southern Florida (for Mayans,Oscars,Tilapia etc). We introduced these fish ....we should be the ones to get rid of them!

#20 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

The powers that be would never put stopping Carp on a high enough priority list to stop this spread. I think invasive things are a horrible thing but life goes on. I forget his SN but the guy in FL that goes on all the collecting trips and comes back with Ciclids and Oscars, and Plecos, etc.

All just another example of mankind destroying its own home. Stuff like this doesn't phase me anymore. I do not have the power to stop it other than voting and nobody I vote for is going to make it stop unless it puts money in their pockets.

I agree...then again I voted for Ross perot twice :lol: (and would still do so today even though hes probably 100 yrs old), maybe well get lucky and theyll develope and insatiable taste for only round gobies, lol!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users