Format change for quotation?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

When replying to a post and quoting part or all of it, the quoted material used to be separated from the new material by being confined to a lighter background box. The last several days I have noticed that is no longer the case. A curved arrow now marks the beginning of the quote, but nothing marks the end. Is everyone experiencing this or is it only on my computer?
The problem I have is it makes it a little harder to pick out where the new material begins and skip over material that I may have just read. It's not a huge problem, but I did like having the different background around the quoted material.

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

When replying to a post and quoting part or all of it, the quoted material used to be separated from the new material by being confined to a lighter background box. The last several days I have noticed that is no longer the case. A curved arrow now marks the beginning of the quote, but nothing marks the end. Is everyone experiencing this or is it only on my computer?
The problem I have is it makes it a little harder to pick out where the new material begins and skip over material that I may have just read. It's not a huge problem, but I did like having the different background around the quoted material.

Test

*edit* Are you talking about once you've completed the post or while you're constructing a post?
What browser are you using and do you use the RTE editor in "your settings"?

#3 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:03 AM

Test

*edit* Are you talking about once you've completed the post or while you're constructing a post?
What browser are you using and do you use the RTE editor in "your settings"?

So apparently it is just my computer? :-k

Actually I mean when I'm reading a post. For example, when I read your post in which you quoted mine, at the top is a curved arrow next to my identity and the date and time I posted, then my post, then your post. The only difference is now the background is all the same and the end of my post isn't clearly differentiated from the beginning of yours. It's only really a problem if someone quotes a few paragraphs that have spaces between them. (Like the one I left between the first sentence of this post and the next paragraph). Then it isn't clear at all (without reading the paragraphs) where the new content begins and the quoted material ends. For example, if you reply to this post and I read it, I will see the curved arrow, my identity, the time and date, then the first sentence, a blank line, the rest of my post, a blank line, and your post. It would not be clear without reading whether the quote was just my first sentence or the first sentence and the rest of my post. It would be further complicated, if you separated paragraphs in your post with blank lines. I hope that makes sense.
I have Internet Explorer as my browser and when I went to my settings it said "your browser doesn't support RTE" I assumed you mean the settings under my NANFA Forum profile.

#4 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

I just switched over to IE and took a look (I'm no fan of IE :evil: ). I didn't experience what you describe but it might not be your computer.....I updated IE to 8 and that might be your problem. What IE version are you using?

#5 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

I updated IE to 8 and that might be your problem. What IE version are you using?

I don't honestly know, it just says internet explorer. I bought the computer new in June of 2008, so figured it should have fairly new software installed. Maybe not though as I see 6 or higher should support RTE. I'm not all that computer savy though, is this something I can update online?

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

I don't honestly know, it just says internet explorer. I bought the computer new in June of 2008, so figured it should have fairly new software installed. Maybe not though as I see 6 or higher should support RTE. I'm not all that computer savy though, is this something I can update online?

Sure. When in IE look in the upper right for a drop down either "tools" or "safety" and click "windows update". This will take you directly to the Microoft (MS) update center. Depending on how often you update, you can select "express" or "custom" updates. You will only get the IE updates via the "custom" menu I believe. You might want to click the express first as this will make sure you get the priority updates first. Even if this isn't related to your problem, it's probably not a bad idea to update anyhow.

#7 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

Sure. When in IE look in the upper right for a drop down either "tools" or "safety" and click "windows update". This will take you directly to the Microoft (MS) update center. Depending on how often you update, you can select "express" or "custom" updates. You will only get the IE updates via the "custom" menu I believe. You might want to click the express first as this will make sure you get the priority updates first. Even if this isn't related to your problem, it's probably not a bad idea to update anyhow.

Well I'm not exactly sure why but won't complain. It's working again. I did try to update the Internet Explorer, but got a message saying the download failed because a more current version was already on my computer.
Anyway thanks for the help Uland.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users