ID fish from another forum

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

The person in this thread says he caught it from a freshwater stream in Florida. There have been some REALLY questionable IDs made(someone suggested a fish from new zealand, someone else suggested a dinosaur bichir).

http://www.repticzon...es/1963275.html

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

Obviously a darter...

I guess swamp darter (Etheostoma fusiforme) since he is in florida...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Obviously a darter...

I guess swamp darter (Etheostoma fusiforme) since he is in florida...

That's what I suggested in the thread before posting it here. I think the mouth is too small for it to be a goby.

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Darter for sure. I would also say swamp.

#5 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

My guess would be some sort of prehistoric eel. I mean look at it, must have just crawled out of the mud from around the cretaceous period.... ](*,)

#6 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

My guess would be some sort of prehistoric eel. I mean look at it, must have just crawled out of the mud from around the cretaceous period.... ](*,)

lol I saw that too and tears cae to my eyes.

#7 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

lol I saw that too and tears cae to my eyes.

Surely you've heard of the dinosaur bichir...it's a real fish

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Yes, as the bichir. I don't know about the hype of "dinosaur" bichir, it's just a primitive ray-finned fish native to what's now the mideast. It's also fairly big, upwards of a meter or so, and has heavy scales on it. It doesn't look anything like either a goby or darter so it's fair game to yuk it up about someone who thinks it does. Hopefully no one here thinks so...

#9 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

Yes, as the bichir. I don't know about the hype of "dinosaur" bichir, it's just a primitive ray-finned fish native to what's now the mideast. It's also fairly big, upwards of a meter or so, and has heavy scales on it. It doesn't look anything like either a goby or darter so it's fair game to yuk it up about someone who thinks it does. Hopefully no one here thinks so...

I think they look really cool.

That forum is really bad with IDing fish. Some kid thought his fathead minnows were "Glass Rasboras"...whatever they are.

#10 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

"Dinosaur eel" is PetsMart's name for the Senegal bichir, Polypterus senegalus. They're one of the smaller bichirs, only reaching about a foot in length. How anyone could think a darter is a bichir (or a baby gar, or an eel, or whitebait) is beyond me. At least goby and blenny were reasonable guesses.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

I found the whole discussion most amusing! There is a lot of potential for mischief on that forum....

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

I found the whole discussion most amusing! There is a lot of potential for mischief on that forum....

Kinda like leading sheep to slaughter? Will you use the same name on that forum?

#13 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

It dosn't really matter as long as he uses the same avatar.

#14 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

I don't like where this is heading.......
A brief word of caution: As a moderator here, it can be troublesome to keep up with spam and relocating posts and such. Flooding a forum and in turn being flooded sounds like a nightmare to me.
I would like to ask members to refrain from cross forum posting to reduce the potential of a "board war". In the future, if people want a proper ID, I'm sure they can find this forum and post here. After all, the NANFA forum is highly relevant when searching the subject matter.

#15 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

Well said, Uland.

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

I would like to ask members to refrain from cross forum posting to reduce the potential of a "board war".

"board war" - I like the sound of that! I will have to consider that matter further...

#17 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

I don't like where this is heading.......
A brief word of caution: As a moderator here, it can be troublesome to keep up with spam and relocating posts and such. Flooding a forum and in turn being flooded sounds like a nightmare to me.
I would like to ask members to refrain from cross forum posting to reduce the potential of a "board war". In the future, if people want a proper ID, I'm sure they can find this forum and post here. After all, the NANFA forum is highly relevant when searching the subject matter.

I would like to say I posted this merely for an ID and no intention of getting people riled up for a "board war." I will refrain from posting threads from other forums here on NANFA.

Hey Irate, perhaps since we can't do a board war, we can make a trilogy of movies about it, and perhaps build off that if they make enough money.

#18 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I would like to say I posted this merely for an ID and no intention of getting people riled up for a "board war." I will refrain from posting threads from other forums here on NANFA.

Hey Irate, perhaps since we can't do a board war, we can make a trilogy of movies about it, and perhaps build off that if they make enough money.

Please don't sweat the small stuff Sunny. I know you meant no harm and forum topics often wander off on tangents the original author has no control over.
And Martin....Not always does the squeaky wheel get the grease...it can be replaced :fishy:

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:04 AM

Perhaps - but a war once started is difficult to stop! And you know how I love antagonizing the ignorantia....

Are you tempting me? Yes, methinketh thou art.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users