American Eel vision

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Well I just peered into my eel tank today and he has his head sticking out of the sand. However, when I had my face right next to his, it clearly looked as if he shifted his eye and looked at me for a few seconds before going on to just sitting there staring into space.

I've always heard eels are practically blind, but can they only really clearly see things that are really close to them, and anything far is blurry?

I guess what I'm trying to say is can eels see and distinguish shapes at all or do the eyes merely detect light? They look alot more advanced than the light detecting eyespots on, say, planarians or some cave dwelling critters.

#2 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

I don't think they're any more blind than any other fish. They have eyes, and they use em'.
You got looked over by your eel.

#3 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

I don't think they're any more blind than any other fish. They have eyes, and they use em'.
You got looked over by your eel.

I couldn't help but laugh at that last part...it's pretty awesome.

#4 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, there's so much we don't know about animal intelligence. Not that I'm anthropomorphizing fish and other critters (ok, maybe a little). But I suppose
there must be some thought process going on in their little heads. Mostly "can I eat that", or "can that eat me . . ."

#5 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, there's so much we don't know about animal intelligence. Not that I'm anthropomorphizing fish and other critters (ok, maybe a little). But I suppose
there must be some thought process going on in their little heads. Mostly "can I eat that", or "can that eat me . . ."

That definitely seems to be the eel mentality.

I wonder how intelligent they really are. I have read they learn what time they get fed and come out then(still waiting for my eel to learn that...and to swim out right when food hits the water), but I wonder if they can recognize their owner from another person like some sunfish have been said to do.

#6 Guest_kzimmerman_*

Guest_kzimmerman_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

When I first got my eel, I didn't see her for 8 months. Then, I started seeing her head poking out of the gravel, or from under a rock. Now, in the evenings when I come into the room, she comes out. She doesn't come out when my girlfreind is coming in the room, just me. Only I, and occasionally my 5 yr old, feed the fish. So, I can deduce from her behavior that she recognizes me as the bringer of food. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

#7 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

"The way to an eels heart . . ."

All this eel talk has made me feel a little guilty about the eels I've sacrifice for striper bait. Not that I'm gonna mend my ways.

#8 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

"The way to an eels heart . . ."

All this eel talk has made me feel a little guilty about the eels I've sacrifice for striper bait. Not that I'm gonna mend my ways.

Oh I bet you will for that one special eel waiting in the bait shop.... :tongue:

#9 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

I would assume their vision is similar to most American catfishes in the Genera of Ictalurus and Ameiurus which was thought to be much worse then it really is. I would assume their vision is not good, but I wouldn't say nearly blind.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users