Frozen in Upstate NY

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hpboogers_*

Guest_hpboogers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

So after being on here for a while I guess it's time to say hello. I live in Rochester, am married and have two young children and would to get out and try collecting out for myself.

I've kept a variety of aquariums for as long as I can remember: planted, killies, tropical, etc. etc. I love tinkering with them and usually modify everything with DIY lighting, moon lighting, CO2, etc.

I'm an avid fisherman and was always catching anything that moved in the water when I was a kid so I guess the appeal of this hobby is all of these interests coming full circle. I have no idea what I'm doing yet but I'll figure it out. :cool2: Any pointers on where to go in the Rochester area are greatly welcomed as the two young kids limit the travel radius!!

#2 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

So after being on here for a while I guess it's time to say hello. I live in Rochester, am married and have two young children and would to get out and try collecting out for myself.

I've kept a variety of aquariums for as long as I can remember: planted, killies, tropical, etc. etc. I love tinkering with them and usually modify everything with DIY lighting, moon lighting, CO2, etc.

I'm an avid fisherman and was always catching anything that moved in the water when I was a kid so I guess the appeal of this hobby is all of these interests coming full circle. I have no idea what I'm doing yet but I'll figure it out. Posted Image Any pointers on where to go in the Rochester area are greatly welcomed as the two young kids limit the travel radius!!

Welcome. Rochester is my old stomping ground, lots of great spots nearby. I get back now and then. Once the weather warms a bit we'll have to get together. Any idea of what you're looking for? You can find Rainbow, Greenside, Fantail, Tesselated, and logperch darters, blacknose dace, common shiners, spotfin shiners, bluntnose minnows, fathead minnows, central stonerollers, plus many others within a 30 minute drive.

#3 Guest_hpboogers_*

Guest_hpboogers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:06 AM

Welcome. Rochester is my old stomping ground, lots of great spots nearby. I get back now and then. Once the weather warms a bit we'll have to get together. Any idea of what you're looking for? You can find Rainbow, Greenside, Fantail, Tesselated, and logperch darters, blacknose dace, common shiners, spotfin shiners, bluntnose minnows, fathead minnows, central stonerollers, plus many others within a 30 minute drive.

Thanks for the response, I would love to get out when it's a little nicer out. That won't really stop me though, I plan to slosh around in the creek on my parents property near Dansville next time I take the kids to see their Grandparents. It's pretty sizable and feeds into the Canasseraga - in fact curiosity regarding the minnows I was watching in there while my son played in the water was what led me to this site.

Naturally I am particularly interested in the more exotic looking species, but as a beginner I would like to be able to catch and identify all of the native species occuring in the region.

#4 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Welcome to the forum boogers.

Although I am a Canuck, I used to spend all of my summers on my Aunt & Uncle's farm in Kendall, about a half mile south of Lake Ontario.

There is a nice little creek ... Eagle Creek I think, that used to have a good population of Sunfish and Bass, plus Bullheads, etc.

There is a marina at the mouth of the creek now, so I don't know about access, but it might be worth a look-see when you're out driving around.

I was very fortunate to have had the influence of the people of Kendall during my formative years, and I have fond recollections of the area.

Hope that you enjoy the world of natives .... they are really neat, and this site is where you'll get superb advice.

Regards,
Radioguy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users