Permit necessary for FL invasive collecting/possession?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

Will be making a trip to southern FL this spring/summer, and I was wondering if it is necessary to get a license or permit to collect and posses exotic freshwater fish species.
Thanks!

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

You only need a freshwater fishing license.

#3 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, Dustin. I'm mainly going for some saltwater R&R, but thought a stop in Big Cypress along the way might be fun. Since the idea was just for a quick stop, and not a full-fledged FW collecting trip, I'll probably just forgo the additional expense (lord knows we'll be contributing much already to the FL economy!)
Cheers!

#4 Guest_trojannemo_*

Guest_trojannemo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

you need to have a Freshwater Fishing license or you could be fined i believe up to $500 for not having one.

regarding catching exotics, most of them you can catch with no problem, but Restricted species you can't possess alive. this is mainly tilapia species (all of them), walking catfish, snakeheads, and a couple others.

i will tell you that after the cold snap, you're not going to see much in the way of exotics in Big Cypress. not even a month ago I got pretty close along Tamiami Trail and we barely caught anything :-(

#5 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

Loosely related comment:

I just checked the regulations for Oscars. I had heard that Oscars were gamefish in Florida. There is a Florida State Record Oscar catch, but there is no mention of Oscars in the Florida freshwater fishing booklet.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users