Strike another one up for natives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Many of you probably know this, but another advantage to natives I recently learned (at least the sunfish species) is they can tolerate nitrites quite well, although I am doing my best to keep them down in my fish culture tank. According to Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment by Edward J. Noga, ... sunfish tolerate high levels (96 hour LC50 often > 50 mg/l) because they do not actively take up nitrite from water.

I had a spike to 1.0 mg/l the other day before a water change and they seemed happy as a clam looking for something to eat when I approached the tank. I have them trained to feed when I turn the light on and they are probably at least a little phototactic as they are quite small in the 1 inch range. I also keep salinity at about 2 ppt which is supposed to help with nitrite uptake also.

What are the nitrite tolerances of other natives? Are they quite high too?

Edited by az9, 03 March 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#2 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

Many of you probably know this, but another advantage to natives I recently learned (at least the sunfish species) is they can tolerate nitrites quite well, although I am doing my best to keep them down in my fish culture tank. According to Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment by Edward J. Noga, ... sunfish tolerate high levels (96 hour LC50 often > 50 mg/l) because they do not actively take up nitrite from water.

I had a spike to 1.0 mg/l the other day before a water change and they seemed happy as a clam looking for something to eat when I approached the tank. I have them trained to feed when I turn the light on and they are probably at least a little phototactic as they are quite small in the 1 inch range. I also keep salinity at about 2 ppt which is supposed to help with nitrite uptake also.

What are the nitrite tolerances of other natives? Are they quite high too?

According to the following publication largemouth bass do not concentrate nitrite at all and bluegill and largemouths seem to be the least sensitive to nitrites.

http://cires.colorad...pdfs/Pub079.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users