well , wanted to share some pics but.....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scotty_*

Guest_scotty_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

it wont let me post anymore photos , says im am over my upload quota ...... well , is it acceptable to post a link to another forum where i have alot of pics of my native tank ?

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

You can link to another forum but this hasn't gone so well in the past. Linking to other forums is discouraged but not out of the question.
Have you considered one of the many hosting sites (like Photobucket or Flickr)? Once you upload photos there, you can post them on any forum.
As a note to other forum members, you should shrink your photos so you have more space!

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, edit your pictures to 72 dpi and no bigger than 6 x 8 inches.

#4 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

I've mentioned before that http://imgur.com/ is the simplest solution for uploading and sharing individual images. No need to sign up for an account or anything, just upload and you're done.

The "insert image" icon when you're composing a message on this forum lets you paste a URL so your image can show up inline rather than just as a link.

Yeah, edit your pictures to 72 dpi and no bigger than 6 x 8 inches.

Actually, DPI and associated measurements in inches are irrelevant for JPEG images on the web -- that only makes a difference when you go to print the image (I had to look this up to be sure). What matters for both display size and file size is total pixel dimensions. I usually like to keep images less than 800px in either dimension. imgur.com and other image hosting solutions will usually create a reduced size image for you by default.

That said, if you're working in inches in your editing program, what fundulus said is about right. 6" x 8" at 72dpi (dots per inch) equals 432 x 576 pixels (6 * 72 = 432). If you're only working on the web and not in print, it's probably less confusing to just specify dimensions in pixels and ignore DPI. Because screen sizes and resolutions vary widely, 6" wide for print purposes does not mean your image will wind up being 6" wide on a computer screen no matter what DPI you select.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

The sharpshooters are out! I realized later that I should have said 600 x 800 pixels as a dimension, rather than 6 inch by 8 inch. But Photoshop, etc., will translate your inch sizing into those approximate pixel dimensions once you're at 72 dpi. Either way, keep the pictures small. No, thank you!

#6 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I only looked it up because I realized I wasn't positive about the impact (or lack thereof) of DPI on the web -- even though I've been a web developer for 10 years. Glad to be reassured that it really doesn't matter at all.

#7 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

As a note to other forum members, you should shrink your photos so you have more space!

Or become a "NANFA Member" as you get more forum space...

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

Or become a "NANFA Member" as you get more forum space...

Rat on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users