Spots in GA

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Coryd55_*

Guest_Coryd55_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Where are some good spots in Georgia to catch natives with a dipnet?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

Are there any particular species you're after? I don't really know my way around GA, but I can tell you you'll find very different species assemblages in each major drainage and physiographic province, as well as a lot of differences across elevational and latitudinal gradients.

#3 Guest_Coryd55_*

Guest_Coryd55_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Well, my plan is to stock a 240 with what I catch and I am looking to keep a very divverse population of fish and invertebrates.

I am really interested in getting some darters though.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

While looking for a great diversity of fishes, you are going to be somewhat limited to certain Genera because of compatibility issues. If you want darters, your tankmates will have to be of similar temperament (e.g. no large sunfishes, bass, or larger chubs.) But you still have a huge possibility.

You have the possibility with a tank like that to create several 'niches'. You could have a portion of the tank dedicated to the fast current species of darters and minnows, while another portion could be slow moving water with plants to house the more slackwater species of darters, minnows, topminnows, small sunnies.

This being said, you'll obviously have to go to different locations depending on what you are looking for. You are going to have a lot of fish to 'fill' that tank! :happy:

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

Where are some good spots in Georgia to catch natives with a dipnet?

Well, I am terrible with a dipnet, so I might not be much help with your original question... but if you are interestedin darters, there are several that you could get if you come out seining with us... and that would also let you get some of the other compatible tank mates that Uncle WIllie mentioned... like shiners, and certain chubs.... maybe even a madtom if we were lucky... keep your eyes open here as we are planning another Georgia trip later this spring.

Georgia is a big state (the biggest east of the mississippi) with quite a bit of variety from north to south when it comes to native fish. Get out there and see what is in your area.

Edited by Michael Wolfe, 10 April 2010 - 04:10 PM.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Darters can be found throughout Georgia, but the highest diversity will be found in the big drainages- the Tennessee, Coosa, Chattahoochee, and Savannah- in the Blue Ridge Mountains and Piedmont. There are relatively few species in the smaller, lowland rivers. Minnows and madtoms have similar patterns, but are not as strongly tied to upland habitats. Topminnows and livebearers are more diverse near the coast.

This page should be helpful: http://fishesofgeorg...ies&class=fish. Click on a species name for a photo, distribution map, and other basic info.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users