Need help I'ding

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

Does any know or can help me figure out what this is.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
he is a good 3-4 inches.
forgot teh location! I'm thinking the Neshaminy creek? i'm not exactly sure what run-off it is but drains into the bradford dam

Edited by sonix215, 15 April 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

I could tell you, but that wouldn't be very much fun. Or, you could go to the local library and check out a copy of Cooper's "Fishes of Pennsylvania" and work your way through the key to figure it out... you'd learn how to identify fish much better, and you might be likely to learn some other fish that you don't already know. Alternatively, Maryland has a pretty good key that's on the web, so you wouldn't even have to leave your house...

I will give you a hint, though -- pay special attention to those predorsal scales.

#3 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

I could tell you, but that wouldn't be very much fun. Or, you could go to the local library and check out a copy of Cooper's "Fishes of Pennsylvania" and work your way through the key to figure it out... you'd learn how to identify fish much better, and you might be likely to learn some other fish that you don't already know. Alternatively, Maryland has a pretty good key that's on the web, so you wouldn't even have to leave your house...

I will give you a hint, though -- pay special attention to those predorsal scales.

haha dave I don't even know what predorsal scales are....i know im pathetic but i'll learn i promise!

#4 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

ok my guess is a Redfin shiner.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

nice fish! did you get that today on your 2.5 mile hike? what else did you catch?

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

its one of these i guess?

Central stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum)
Goldfish (Carassius auratus)
Redside dace (Clinostomus elongatus)
Rosyside dace (Clinostomus funduloides)
Grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella)
Satinfin shiner (Cyprinella analostana)
Spotfin shiner (Cyprinella spiloptera)
Common carp (Cyprinus carpio)
Cutlips minnow (Exoglossum maxillingua)
Eastern silvery minnow (Hybognathus regius)
Striped shiner (Luxilus chrysocephalus)
Common shiner (Luxilus cornutus)
Pearl dace (Margariscus margarita)
River chub (Nocomis micropogon)
Golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas)
Comely shiner (Notropis amoenus)
Emerald shiner (Notropis atherinoides)
Bridle shiner (Notropis bifrenatus)
Silverjaw minnow (Notropis buccatus)
Ironcolor shiner (Notropis chalybaeus)
Spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius)
Swallowtail shiner (Notropis procne)
Rosyface shiner (Notropis rubellus)
Cheat minnow (Pararhinichthys bowersi)
Bluntnose minnow (Pimephales notatus)
Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)
Blacknose dace (Rhinichthys atratulus)
Longnose dace (Rhinichthys cataractae)
Rudd (Scardinius erythropthalmus)
Creek chub (Semotilus atromaculatus)
Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis)
Tench (Tinca tinca)
[edit]Mudminnows (Umbr

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

common shiner? although for some reason your fish looks really fat. im just guessing..although im not used to seeing commons with red just around the edges

Edited by bumpylemon, 15 April 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#8 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

this is fun, either its a Common Shiner or a Striped Shiner. Its definately a male because its in its spawning colors. The hint at looking at the predorsal scales refers to the scales on the top of the fish before the dorsal (top) fin. Common Shiners have more than 18 scales between the head and the dorsal fin, Striped's have 13-19 of these scales. Another way you could tell is to check out the chin pigmentation. Striped's have their whole chin pigmented, Common's only have a small area that "shadows" their lower jaw.

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

cant be a striped....look at this pic

Posted Image

#10 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

you know that striped shiners were once considered a subspecies of common shiners right. Then again compared to that pic, the fish in the beginning of this thread looks like it has small scales in that key ID area, which would point to a Common Shiner

Edited by panfisherteen, 15 April 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

you know that striped shiners were once considered a subspecies of common shiners right. Then again compared to that pic, the fish in the beginning of this thread looks like it has small scales in that key ID area, which would point to a Common Shiner

no i didnt know that. but lookin at this pic the striped looks like crecent shiner to me. just not as pink and colored

Posted Image

Edited by bumpylemon, 15 April 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Taking a guess and then listing 1/4 of a family isn't much of a guess....and there is quite a bit of geography ignoring going on. Either key Dave mentioned, and he should have given himself a shameless plug for illustrating one of them, would tell you what predorsalscales are...

#13 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

ugh i listed anterior dorso-lateral scales :blink: ](*,)

#14 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

Taking a guess and then listing 1/4 of a family isn't much of a guess....and there is quite a bit of geography ignoring going on. Either key Dave mentioned, and he should have given himself a shameless plug for illustrating one of them, would tell you what predorsalscales are...

i only made one guessPosted Image....i said common shiner..crecents i know arent in PA. i was only stating that to common people those 3 look the sort of the same to the naked eye.Posted Image

Edited by bumpylemon, 15 April 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#15 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

i also agree with common shiner

#16 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:56 PM

i also agree with common shiner

Alot more colorful than my common was, he developed some red at the edges of his lower fins and a slight pinkish cast to his belly but never anywhere near as bright.

#17 Guest_sonix215_*

Guest_sonix215_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

nice fish! did you get that today on your 2.5 mile hike? what else did you catch?

yeah we were going for just bass but the place we went to was just to shallow. we ended up going to this one spot in a creek where it was deep and had some trout swimming but i was more interesting in the small guys. so i threw on a "10" hook and a little piece of worm i got 2 sunnys that i threw back and this guy and a creek chub. he looks really cool. i'm still trying to get my water to be clear not having much luck though. i thin k eventually i need to upgrade the filters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users