Collecting tips for Fundulus chrysotus

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

I've never had trouble catching these fish as bycatch just running a dipnet through thick vegetation, but until yesterday I'd never seen the elusive melanistic morph. Yesterday I saw two, and they were the most beautiful fish I've ever seen in the wild. But I couldn't catch them. They're quick, and were in deeper water (3') than I'm used to catching them in.

I've noticed that certain nets and techniques are more effective for some fish than others. I've never tried to go after a specific individual of this species before yesterday, so I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for how to go about it. The area is a sandy bottom with heavy weeds over it.

#2 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

I haven't had the pleasure of that species in the wild but I noticed the same thing from lined topminnows.
I got 'em by wading out a bit [firm bottom] and using two nets. One net swept slowly up from behind while the other tries to sneak around front and anticipate the dash.
Only way to get the big showy males although females and immatures were easy enough to scoop at random in weeds.

#3 Guest_JamesH_*

Guest_JamesH_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:48 PM

Those must be great looking fish. I am really hoping to find some F. chrysotus here in texas this summer. Do you have any photos of the melanistic chrysotus. I would be very interested in seeing some of them if you get some.

#4 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:43 AM

I haven't caught any yet, but I will post if I do.

#5 Guest_Rex740_*

Guest_Rex740_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Keep trying. Here in South Florida they are everywhere. They are always caught, even by accident.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users