• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

I have a 45g and im having problems choseing what to set it up for
any ideas?
note-the tank is a custom corner tank and has several filters(mostly biowheels)

Attached File  post_101_1169347368.jpg   56.5KB   14 downloads

#2 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

I would do that as a small sunfish tank for sure! It would be difficult to set up with a current and alot of darters and minnows like a bit of current. I think some orangespots and/or dollars would look great in it! BTW it is a very cool tank.

Chad

#3 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

I would put sunfish then I would add some sunfish. I am a sunfish lover. You put sunfish in water and throw food in, any food, whithin a day and they are trained on store bought food of any kind. I brought home bantams a few weeks ago from Louisiana and from day one, blood worms, brine shrimp, flakes, and chichlid pellets. The pellets were not their favorite they did not seem to like them much but everything else they were practically steeling from each others mouths. But for ease of keeping and tough fish it is hard to beat a sunfish. I will be keeping some bantams, orange spotted and I will try some northern longears but if they seem too aggressive I will move them. I mean though that the Long Ears will be the smallest fish in there. They will be smaller than the bantams and O-spots to start out with. So hopefully growing them out like that I can make it work. And what entertaing fish sunfish can be. My bantams already know me. The rapidly aproach the top of the tank all congregated when I approach it. Of course you could throw in some small cats. Madtoms. Bullheads are too big in my opinion. The spotted stays the smallest if you wanted only one of those. But 45 gallons is not a whole lot of water. A nice size tank but keep the numbers right.
Of course a couple of these jewels and a couple of northern long ears would probably work. This is a shadow bass. Awesome. Then there are warmouths. If you want a chamelion of the fish world try a warmouth. Tough as nails, sedate and non aggressive and one of the most beautiful im my opinion. I mean the long ears are beautiful but there is a (subtel ?spelling.) beauty about a warmouth that I think our ranks all the others at least for me.

And if the person that cropped the last one would do this one also that would be great.

Attached Files

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

I like the sunfish idea but I would like to have a few topminnows(banded) would the sunfish you have sugjested eat thetopminnows

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

I like the sunfish idea but I would like to have a few topminnows(banded) would the sunfish you have sugjested eat thetopminnows

Never kept o-apot but I hear that they are pretty chill and some people keep them with darters. I also DO have dollars and they are voracious eaters but VERY calm besides that. They are living with tetras right now and now problems. Of course they are only maybe half inch bigger then them(the biggest one), but I would say they would be ok as long as they grew up with them and only fed on prepared foods. Make sure to add the minnows first.

Chad

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

I have a 45g and im having problems choseing what to set it up for
any ideas?
note-the tank is a custom corner tank and has several filters(mostly biowheels)

Attached File  post_101_1169347368.jpg   56.5KB   14 downloads

The photo angel on this one may be missleading but that tank looks like a whole lot more than 45 gallons. I had a tiny little one gallon tank I found at a garage sale. It was one with the crome frames and slate bottom. Well to say the least when I filled it with water the sealing material was deterioted and it leaked. So I removed the slate bottom and cleaned it up very well. Then I used black silicone and re-sealed and replaced the slate in the bottom. Such a nostolgic looking little tank. I got rid of it and cant remember why. I can kick myself for doing that just because it brought back childhood memories for me. That is all they had back then. And yes I am old. LOL. Well not that old but old enough to remember those nice crome framed tanks. I thought they were quite nice looking and I wished they still made them actually.

#7 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

+1 to sunfish, but add one MRBD, SRBD, or NRBD (whatever comes from the same waters as the sunfish you go after) as a dither fish and to add some fast motion to the tank.

#8 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

I do not know how big the banded minnows get. But if I am not mistaking they are one of the smaller of the species. I think the sunnies would definatly eat them. I have a redspotted in my forty and he enjoys large :roll: gambusia quite frequently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users