Longear Sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

I have noted that there are supposedly Longear Sunfish in my area, I had never caught one before. However, I think I did this morning.
Posted Image
Im 95% sure that this is a Longear based on the size of the opercular tab. This fish was caught in the Severn Sound (Gerogian Bay)

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

that looks similar to our pumpkin seeds around here (South Central Wisconsin).. The only images I have seen of Northern Longears are on Zimmerman's site and in books, I would say this is not, but I hope it is for you!

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

With the red edge of the opercular tab the fish is a p-seed.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

I've seen red edges along the opercular tabs in longears as well, I don't believe this is a pumpkinseed. Looks like a longear to me.

#5 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

would the dark pelvic fin help suggest Longear?

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

It appears to be a female northern longear.

#7 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

would that mean that this fish is a longear too since it looks similar other than the fact that the opercular tab is smaller than the fish at the top of the thread:
Posted Image

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

It looks even more like a p-seed. But what the hell.

#9 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

well i agree with the fact that the 2nd pic is a p-seed, although it looked a little strange and i was making sure it wasnt a longear :fishy:

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

The second fish does look more like a p-seed.

#11 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

I agree, the second fish looks like a pumpkinseed. But I still think the first is a longear.

Edited by sandtiger, 24 May 2010 - 06:45 AM.

#12 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

A couple of differences I see in the fish: The first has a much larger opercular tab and the dorsal and anal fins have a somewhat uniform red color between rays. The second fish has a smaller opercular tab and brown spots that radiate from the from the body in the dorsal fins. These features are what I'd use to separate my local P'seed from Longear.

#13 Guest_logan_*

Guest_logan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

It's warm enough up where you are to catch sunfish this time of year?. Here in WA. I've started to see sunfish up by the shore this time of year, but they refuse to bite worms!!!! When it warms up that lake produces nice sized sunfish though.

#14 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

the bass are starting to spawn here :cool2:

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Panfisherteen, You nailed it on the head that is a northern longear sunfish. I actually think that is a little male, a female would have a rather small opercle tab compared to that fish. The red tab on the end of the opercle is a distinctive feature of Northern Longears. It seems the further North you are the larger and more visible that marking becomes. I don't think it gets much more obvious than on the fish you caught though. Northern Longears are often very small and rarely get as bright of colors as some of the more southern and larger strains. I am 100% sure that is a Northern Longear and better than 75% sure it is a male. That may actually be the only one I have ever seen a picture of caught in Canada. I know they are supposed to be in some limited areas up there but I'm impressed, nice catch.

Edit: Oh yeah, the second fish is a p-seed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users