Hello From Long Island NY

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CaptDave_*

Guest_CaptDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

My Name is Dave. Been Checking out the website alot and decided to join. Just wanted to say hello

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

My Name is Dave. Been Checking out the website alot and decided to join. Just wanted to say hello

hello, welcome dave! do you have any fish tanks? what are you in to?

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hello, CaptDave! I hope that you find your stay both enjoyable and informative!

Brian

#4 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi Dave,

Nice to see a fellow Long Islander signing on!
I'm in the KingsPark / Smithtown area. What's your interest in Native Fish?
I've got a couple tanks set up, including a nice 55 gallon with fish primarily collected this past spring in North Carolina.
There's some interesting locations on LI, plus upstate NY is worth checking out . . .

- Jan

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Well if he calls himself capt Dave and is from Long Island, my guess his interest in native fish includes striped bass, bluefish, false albacore and bonito. Am I right Dave?
A little tuna in season?

Welcome aboard. :smile2:

#6 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Well if he calls himself capt Dave and is from Long Island, my guess his interest in native fish includes striped bass, bluefish, false albacore and bonito. Am I right Dave?
A little tuna in season?

Welcome aboard. :smile2:

Arrr, ye might be right, we'll have to hear it from the Cap'n.

Meanwhile, I've been catching some HUGE porgies - up to 16", off the beach. How's the season progressing up your way?

-Jan

#7 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Here's some of the Long Island Sound porgies . . .

Sorry to be " off script" -
Jan100_0418.JPG

#8 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Here's some of the Long Island Sound porgies . . .

Sorry to be " off script" -
Jan100_0418.JPG

nice. you eat them i take it? do you fillet them or make like a fish chowder?

#9 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

nice. you eat them i take it? do you fillet them or make like a fish chowder?

Yes, I eat them. Porgies are great fried, or baked. I always hear "porgies are too bony" - not so. You just need to fillet them. These were great.

#10 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Ok, appologies to the mods, can't resist...
Well on my side of the sound we ain't got no stinkin porgies [confuses us with our pogies :tongue: ], we got scup, and that ain't a duck. Folla?

A fish close to my heart and my roots. My Dad used to take us to the RI breachways and we'd have a ball with scup and fluke. Throwing a seaworm into the breachway could bring you any of a couple dozen cool species. Puffers puffing, sea robins grumbling, goosefish snapping, it's like a box of chocolates :cool2: . Big sharks among the swimmers, breaching whales, bluefish driving bait onto the sand...these are my Fish Geek foundation :biggrin: And scup fillets breaded, quick fried, served after the quohogs, with a nice IPA.....mmm

Sad to say I know nothing first hand of our season. I fished too much when I was younger.

BTW Jan, those porgies get any bigger...

Yer gonna need a bigger boat. ;)

#11 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Ok, appologies to the mods, can't resist...
Well on my side of the sound we ain't got no stinkin porgies [confuses us with our pogies :tongue: ], we got scup, and that ain't a duck. Folla?

A fish close to my heart and my roots. My Dad used to take us to the RI breachways and we'd have a ball with scup and fluke. Throwing a seaworm into the breachway could bring you any of a couple dozen cool species. Puffers puffing, sea robins grumbling, goosefish snapping, it's like a box of chocolates :cool2: . Big sharks among the swimmers, breaching whales, bluefish driving bait onto the sand...these are my Fish Geek foundation :biggrin: And scup fillets breaded, quick fried, served after the quohogs, with a nice IPA.....mmm

Sad to say I know nothing first hand of our season. I fished too much when I was younger.

BTW Jan, those porgies get any bigger...

Yer gonna need a bigger boat. ;)

I just knew a New Englander was going to bust my chops regarding the porgy versus scup designation! Tis all in good fun . . .

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users