a day a field

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

Tony in red shirt,Dee in blue, Blake in tan and Gillian in white.
netting bait fish and fishing in SW Ohio Little Miami River and a local farm pond.
It was indeed a good day afield with some of my family.the water was cool and refreshing
with such high temps.we caught blue gills,longears and some daters and a lot of shiners they looked like
emerald shiners but there fins are more rounded and they have a very red color around the head area and around gill plates.
some of the other shiners had a dot @ the base of there tail. later that night the girls were onto some flathead catfish.

Attached Files

Edited by CATfishTONY, 30 May 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

The fish with the red color are brook silversides, the others I couldn't see well enough.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

I was thinking Rosyface Shiner, Notropis rubellus? I can't see very well either, though.

#4 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

Tony in red shirt,Dee in blue, Blake in tan and Gillian in white.
netting bait fish and fishing in SW Ohio Little Miami River and a local farm pond.
It was indeed a good day afield with some of my family.the water was cool and refreshing
with such high temps.we caught blue gills,longears and some daters and a lot of shiners they looked like
emerald shiners but there fins are more rounded and they have a very red color around the head area and around gill plates.
some of the other shiners had a dot @ the base of there tail. later that night the girls were onto some flathead catfish.

Wow, that catfish is awesome! He must have put up a great fight. How, basically do you fish for them - live bait, catfish bait?

The longear was a beauty, also.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Rosyface shiners are colored up right now in our area. The ones with a spot at base of the tail are likely bluntnose minnows.

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

Wow, that catfish is awesome! He must have put up a great fight. How, basically do you fish for them - live bait, catfish bait?

The longear was a beauty, also.

there is a smaller pond on the farm and we catch bluegill then use then alive for the shovelhead cat fish.

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

Rosyface shiners are colored up right now in our area. The ones with a spot at base of the tail are likely bluntnose minnows.

Rosyface shiners yep thats them. i looked up ulands pictures and thats them for sure.man they sure do resemble emerald shiner minnows oh well i was close.
skipjack good to here from you.sorry for the bad pictures everyone its a new camera and i just dont have it down yet macro shots in a tank just dont come out right for me.but i do like it it got wet with no trouble this weekend in the river

Edited by CATfishTONY, 30 May 2010 - 11:06 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users