Pumpkinseed fry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_malfunkshun_*

Guest_malfunkshun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

My pumkinseeds spawned for the second time the other day and this time i moved the eggs to a smaller tank so they would not get eaten by the other fish.
They hatched yesterday morning. How log until the yolksak is absorbed and the start feeding on their own? Any special care? Food?

They are approx. 30h old in this picture and showing about a fifth of them.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

They are cute.I believe the yolk-sac lasts 3 weeks; but I may be horribly wrong. Daphnia or something would work as food.

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Once you see them free swimming around the tank it should be safe to start offering them food. Newly hatched brine shrimp is what most people would suggest but I've had luck with Hikari First Bites, a food marketed towards fish fry.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Once you see them free swimming around the tank it should be safe to start offering them food. Newly hatched brine shrimp is what most people would suggest but I've had luck with Hikari First Bites, a food marketed towards fish fry.

I am gonna try the Hikari First Bites to see if it works. We have used nearly a dozen brands on first feeding larvae (not what I would call fry yet) of several sunfish species and most cannot use such feeds until at least 7 days after feeding commences. One of the diets we suspect might work is not available in the US but is of Japanese origin.

SandTiger, what species of sunfish have you gotten it to work on? We will attempt to replicate.

#5 Guest_malfunkshun_*

Guest_malfunkshun_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

I just ordered a bag of Hikari First Bites. Hope it works. Any other suggestions?

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Attempt to raise only 50 or less. Try to supplement your Hikari with live feed. Your "fry" will be up and feeding in likley 3 days from time photo was taken. Starting feeding too late not good. Feeding too much too early also a problem. Try and learn.

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

malfunkshun,

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you find your stay both enjoyable and informative! Best of luck with your Pumpkinseed fry! I wish I had some information to share, but I have not spawned Pumpkinseed yet. Please let us know how the fry do over time. Thanks!

Brian

#8 Guest_malfunkshun_*

Guest_malfunkshun_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

Good and bad news. There is a small gap on the back of the pump I used in the fry tank. So as soon as they were free swimming they were sucked in to the pump and basically became sashimi.
Lesson learned. Will make a fool prof tank for raising fry now.

Good news is that my pumkinseeds are doing great and spawning again.
Next attempt to raise new ones will be after I finished moving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users