Darter or Sculpin?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

Is this a darter or a sculpin? I caught these guys in a local creek here in Pennsylvania. What kind of darter/sculpin is it?Attached File  DSCF0378.JPG   816.82KB   17 downloads

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

Darter, not an expert, don't know what kind it is.

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

GREENSIDE DARTER MAYBE?

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

def a darter.....i love guessing.....

banded darter.

Edited by bumpylemon, 29 June 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Banded darters? Etheostoma zonale? That would be my guess. Either that or juvenile greenside darters, Etheostoma blennioides.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

GREENSIDE DARTER MAYBE?

most greensides...well mine...dont have bands like that. it has to be banded darters....i love that sand though!
Posted Image

i love the bright greens on them..

Edited by bumpylemon, 29 June 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yep, those boys are banded darters.

#8 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the replies! The sand IS awesome! This is my first tank ever and I have been planning it for months. It is a 210 gallon tank. The sand is 3M Colorquartz.

Edited by bjbass, 29 June 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#9 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Yep, those boys are banded darters.

Nice Darters. What county did you catch them in? Im in Lehigh county and so far have only caught tesselated darters.

#10 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

Nice Darters. What county did you catch them in? Im in Lehigh county and so far have only caught tesselated darters.

Union County

These guys are really cool. They have some straight pointy fins that when I picked them up they stuck me. They stick them out next to their front fanned fins. It didn't really hurt, but it surprised me. I only expect that from a catfish.

#11 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

A couple of things....

1) In the future, don't collect fish that you haven't positively ID'd. I'm mean you weren't even able to identify the family....

2) Please shrink your pictures before posting. There really is no need for such large pictures unless requested for identification purposes.

#12 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

A couple of things....

1) In the future, don't collect fish that you haven't positively ID'd. I'm mean you weren't even able to identify the family....

2) Please shrink your pictures before posting. There really is no need for such large pictures unless requested for identification purposes.

I apologize for the size of the pictures, but I am avid fisherman and I know the PA regulations and laws for gamefish. I can positively identify if I have picked up a gamefish or a baitfish. These are baitfish and I collected them legally in the state of Pennsylvania. I knew that it was one of two species of fish that live in my home waters and neither of which are protected from size regulations.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

There are darter species in Pennsylvania that are protected by the state. See Chapter 75 for the official list of Endangered, Threatened and Candidate fish (and other) species in Pennsylvania. Banded darters aren't on the list, but some of the listed species are not that dissimilar especially if one is unfamiliar with a common species like the banded darter. It's not simply a matter of bait fish or not.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

I think that Drew is referring to other concerns than size regulations, but I will say that you have come to the right place for answers to your questions. We are mostly all friends here!

#15 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

I think that Drew is referring to other concerns than size regulations, but I will say that you have come to the right place for answers to your questions. We are mostly all friends here!

Yes you are right. There are several species that are endangered and threatened. I am fully aware of that. I am familiar with these species and they are not present where I was fishing for these species of fish. I always know what fish are present where I am fishing and what is legal and what is not.

#16 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, bjbass! I hope that you find your stay both enjoyable and informative! I have to agree with Bruce (fundulus), those fish you've got are Banded Darters (Etheostoma zonale). That sand looks cool, too! Welcome!

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users