Jump rocks

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

Does anyone else here keep Jump Rocks? I have what I believe to be a Scartomyzon cervinus (Fritz might be able to confirm this) It a really great fish it recognizes me and doesn't run and hide when i approach the glass. I am surprised at how much algae and diatom type plants it eats. I put it in with my paddlefish after their tanks fine sand bottom became covered with brown diatom slime and the back glass was covered by fine algae. The jumprock has cleaned up the sand by sifting it continuously and shooting the sand back out through it's gills. It also sucks the algae off the glass and a bog-wood log and it makes a loud popping sound as it feeds on the glass and wood. He will chow down on live blood worms too bu the eats the algae very vigorously leaving behind odd marks one the glass as he feeds... Great fish!

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

I have a roughly 3.5 inch black jumprock (Scartomyzon cervinus) and as far as suckers go (I've kept hogsuckers, torrent suckers, and white suckers) he seems to be the most hardy and willing to feed. He actually sustained an injury on his peduncle that I thought was going to do him in for sure, but he bounced back and is still an attractive, active feeder. I'm a big fan.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

How big is the one you ahve Michael... I had a brassy jumprock in the photo tank earlier this spring, but was hesitant to keep it as I was a) unsure of the identification and b) concerned that it would eventually get too big.

I know your paddles are small right now, but how big is the jumprock?

I love the look of redhorse when I am snorkeling and would like to see a small jumprock in a big aquarium...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

The jump rock I have is about 6", his colors are washed out due to being in bright light over light colored pool filter sand. He is a very cool fish, he looks a little like a hogsucker, seems to feed a lot like a hogsucker too.

#5 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Has anyone else noticed how jump rocks eat algae like it going out of style? Mine eats even the blue-green slime off the back glass, he makes a loud popping noise as he sucks it off. He also processes a lot of sand, he takes it in his mouth and seems to chew it, I think he swallows a lot of it judging from his feces.... A small school of them in a large aquarium would be an uber cool way to control algae!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users