Hatching Killi Eggs

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

Ok I have seen a ton of these packages that you can get like 50 killi eggs for really cheap and really cheap shipping and stuff. But there has got to be a catch...How do you go about hatching these advertised eggs?

Chad

#2 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

Never did them from a source like that. I am guessing these are soil spawners. If they are, then they are African Nothobranchius or something else similar, or what used to be all Cynolebias from South America, but that has been split into many genra as well, with I think the most common now being Sympthonichthys. Excuse my spelling if it isn't right on, but close enough a search will find you information on them.

They, if they are what I think they are, will come in a bag of peat. It should have a hatch date. You will want to wet the peat and watch for fry, which can be tough with no experience. I have only a few times tried these fish, and didn't do well with them. They just are not my cup of tea.

Plenty of people love them and do very well with them indeed.

How these work, where these fish live the waterway they live in dries up completly for a couple months to many months. The eggs lie resting in the mud, and when the heavy rains come and fill the pools up, these eggs hatch. The fry grow very fast since they have to get up to speed to spawn before the next dry. Although these fish normally live only a few months, in captivity they will live much longer and usually produce eggs throughout that time.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

Ok I have seen a ton of these packages that you can get like 50 killi eggs for really cheap and really cheap shipping and stuff. But there has got to be a catch...How do you go about hatching these advertised eggs?

Chad

You might be talking about buying Fundulus grandis, Gulf Killifish eggs, available for a penny/egg from some commercial operations along the Gulf coast. The eggs will hatch pretty easily in aerated aquaria with salt at the brackish-to-marine level. You can then start your own fish breeding operation, or raise the offspring for bait. If you've never seen Gulf Killifish, they're bigger, more robust mummichogs. But they're very easy to raise and spawn. Brian Jones at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab's Estuarium can produce huge numbers of eggs in just a few tanks using an apparatus that's a siphon with mesh netting on it. This might be an underappreciated species for sheer fecundity.

#4 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:50 AM

All of these were freshwater fish. And I could have sworn I saw bluefin killi eggs? That is mainly why I asked.

Chad

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

All of these were freshwater fish. And I could have sworn I saw bluefin killi eggs? That is mainly why I asked.

Chad

Did you find this on a web site or something? Got a link?

#6 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

Did you find this on a web site or something? Got a link?

Nevermind guys...I am just going crazy lately. There were no bluefin eggs. But here is the link anyways.
http://www.aquabid.c...gi?fwkillifishe
Keep the good advice coming

Chad

#7 Guest_earlblewett_*

Guest_earlblewett_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

Dear Chad,

There are a lot of killifish eggs for sale on Aquabid year round. Most of the sellers are genuine.

I keep a lot of nothobranchius killies and have received eggs from Japan, mainland China, Bulgaria, Europe and all over the US. These eggs can need up to a year of incubation before hatching.

The plant spawning killies are another matter. I've shipped eggs to Scotland twice sucessfully and received them from Hawaii (I live in Tulsa, OK). They need 10 - 25 days to hatch depending on the species.

You never really know what happens during shipping so there is some risk. I've hatched near 100 SA annuals from a bag of peat from China, but have had terrible luck with things coming from Brazil, Peru and Argentina. Great success from Bulgaria and Japan.

The bluefin killie is a water spawner and it's eggs will only need 2-3 weeks of incubation. If I got 50% of the eggs to hatch I'd be happy. Usually you get at least 15 eggs.

I am currently shipping Lamprichthys tanganicanus eggs. These are Tanganykan pearlfish, the largest African killifish. The fish are very hard to ship but the eggs do pretty well. I have a long waiting list. Right now they are only being shipped in the USA in styrofoam containers. The eggs are hatching at 80-100% rates.

The things to watch for on aquabid are people that only take cash or western union (some places it costs a lot of money to send funds by western union). Ideally they should take paypal and be in the USA. Technically buying fish and having them shipped to you from outside the USA without the proper permits is illegal.

Also look at their feedback. There are a lot of people with good ratings.

Good luck,

Earl

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

I am currently shipping Lamprichthys tanganicanus eggs. These are Tanganykan pearlfish, the largest African killifish. The fish are very hard to ship but the eggs do pretty well. I have a long waiting list.

Put me on that list, please. Thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users