Gilt Darter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

One my list of fish to see for two years has been the Gilt Darter. Though I've been in areas where they are listed to be, I have yet to see one. I thought I may have seen on snorkling last weekend, but I wasn't sure as I had never seen one before. What area's are they found, shallow/deep riffle, pools, etc??? I was reading through some of the awesome trip reports that some members did back in 2007-2008 here in KY and they seemed to find Gilt Darters. Does anybody have any access point to areas that they could tell me about?

Also, I'd love to be part of one of those weekend KY trips. I think some members need to arrange a trip through KY, depending on the area I could possibly host some overnight guests

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

One my list of fish to see for two years has been the Gilt Darter. Though I've been in areas where they are listed to be, I have yet to see one. I thought I may have seen on snorkling last weekend, but I wasn't sure as I had never seen one before. What area's are they found, shallow/deep riffle, pools, etc??? I was reading through some of the awesome trip reports that some members did back in 2007-2008 here in KY and they seemed to find Gilt Darters. Does anybody have any access point to areas that they could tell me about?

Also, I'd love to be part of one of those weekend KY trips. I think some members need to arrange a trip through KY, depending on the area I could possibly host some overnight guests

Josh, I'm sorry to say I don't have any plans to head to KY in the near future but would like to hang out and catch fish together.
I can give you tips on how to catch Gilt darters though. Every time I've found them, the conditions have been similar.
Runs over loose rock substrate usually smaller and not much larger than 2" diameter. The runs have always been deep and the fish were found from waste high water or deeper.
So...swift deep runs with small loose rock. The above are just my experiences and I'm certainly no expert. Perhaps someone with more experience can provide more or better description of likely locations.

Essentially, we would use somewhat large nets (one big, strong guy on each end to handle the deep, swift water) and one brave sole who often winds up getting washed down into the net who would try and kick the loose substrate on his way down.
If you have enough people, try and video seining Gilt darters since the kicker often gets seined along with the fish. Sure to entertain all viewers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users