Treat diseased SMB eye - White cloudy

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

I need to treat my SMB. He has this white eye that is protruding. I don't think it is popeye. I have aquarium salt in for about two weeks now. 1 T for every 5 gallons have been added. I think it may have gotten a little better. I have carbon filters and I can't use Melafix because I would have to take them out.

Also, my Ammonia is zero and my nitrites are zero. My nitrates are about 10 any my PH is 6.8.

Is there something cheap that I can use to treat 250 gallons with keep my carbon in? I looked into Marcyn at PetSmart, but one days' tank dosage for me was like 20 bucks.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

Looks more like an injury than a parasite, fungus, or bacterial infection. I spy a little devil in the background as well. Also, why is it an issue to remove the carbon filters?

#3 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Looks more like an injury than a parasite, fungus, or bacterial infection. I spy a little devil in the background as well. Also, why is it an issue to remove the carbon filters?

It very well might be an injury. When I caught him, he had a scuff on that side of his face on his lip and a white patch above his eye. These both went away, but it appeared to spread to the eye. Also, you are correct. I had three crayfish in there with him that could have nipped it. I am down to just one small one now. What is the best way to treat this? Should I just stick with one T of aquarium salt per 5 gallons for now?

The carbon is in one of the filter trays in my Marineland Model 4 acrylic sump. I figured that it needed to be there to maintain my nitrates? Wouldn't I lose all of my bacteria if I took that out? I also have two bio wheels though and maybe that is where my bacteria lies? Should I take out my carbon and treat with medicine?

#4 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

I was thinking it looks like an injury too, but maybe has become infected. If you treat your aquarium with antibiotics, they will likely wipe out the beneficial bacteria in your filter if you don't remove your filter media. How big is this fish? Could he be moved to a smaller hospital tank and treated there?

#5 Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*

Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

It very well might be an injury. When I caught him, he had a scuff on that side of his face on his lip and a white patch above his eye. These both went away, but it appeared to spread to the eye. Also, you are correct. I had three crayfish in there with him that could have nipped it. I am down to just one small one now. What is the best way to treat this? Should I just stick with one T of aquarium salt per 5 gallons for now?

The carbon is in one of the filter trays in my Marineland Model 4 acrylic sump. I figured that it needed to be there to maintain my nitrates? Wouldn't I lose all of my bacteria if I took that out? I also have two bio wheels though and maybe that is where my bacteria lies? Should I take out my carbon and treat with medicine?

Unfortunately the carbon will remove almost anything you use Maracyn is erythromycin. About all it is good for is cloudy eyes. You might try moving the bass to a smaller aquarium for treatment, and you would be able to use less. You will have to do without carbon for awhile at least during treatment.

#6 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Unfortunately the carbon will remove almost anything you use Maracyn is erythromycin. About all it is good for is cloudy eyes. You might try moving the bass to a smaller aquarium for treatment, and you would be able to use less. You will have to do without carbon for awhile at least during treatment.

This is my first and only aquarium. I am not sure what to do. I am having trouble getting him to eat too. He ate about a dozen minnows and since I haven't put more in because I want to get him to eat frozen raw shrimp and eventually pellets. He won't eat any of it. I tried feeding him a nightcrawler and he gobbled it up, but then spit it out in two pieces a few minutes later. I don't know what to do.

#7 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

What is the best way to treat this?

Cheap solution. Purchase a children’s wading pool and use it to treat your fish. Another option would be to use a large, more compact container and give your fish 'baths' with a slighty higher dosage of medicine than recommended. Sorry, but I cannot suggest a remedy (medicine) as I've never dealt with this issue.

Also, make sure any decorations are free of jagged or sharp edges. Keep an eye on the crayfish as well.

I’ve heard many times that carbon sold for aquarium use is not very effective long term. I’m sure beneficial bacteria have taken up residence in the carbon, however, I bet your filter pads, bio-wheels and decorations (wood, plants, rocks) hold more beneficial bacteria.

Also, I would recommend changing a good portion of the water. If you don't notice any improvement with your fish in a few weeks, it might be necessary to treat the whole aquarium. You could easily remove the fish to a children’s wading pool, and lower the water level of the aquarium to save $ on medicine. Remove your Bio wheels and keep them running in order to quickly re-introduce beneficial bacteria after removing the medicine with fresh carbon.

This is just my opinion, of course.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

For what it's worth, I don't even use carbon in my tanks.

#9 Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*

Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ok I'm curious now. Exactly how big is this bass?

#10 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Ok I'm curious now. Exactly how big is this bass?

The bass is 13" because the legal size to keep a bass in Pennsylvania right now is 12". I really want the best for my fish. I guess I will have to stick with the aquarium salt for now. I suppose I could remove the carbon filters in my dual overflows and put them in a bucket of aquarium water with a bubbler for now while if I were to treat the whole tank with medication?

#11 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, I'm not positive but I don't think the salt is gonna cure this injury or disease. It looks to me like an injury but without more pictures it's hard to say. If you think its a disease or bacteria, treat it with meds, even if they cost twenty bucks. But remove the carbon from your filters or filters in general as they will basically take out all the meds from the water. Training them to eat anything but live foods, takes a bit. I have a perch, LMB, and pumpkinseed and they all learned pretty quickly. Within a week I'd say. It's helpful if they have other fish in the tank who they can watch eat, they seem to grasp the idea quicker then.

#12 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I will also agree that removing the carbon would not be the end of the world. While it does help out with removing various harmful chemicals, the loss of the beneficial "bio load" on it would not impact your system in the time it would take to possibly treat your SMB with whatever meds you choose. As others have said, you already have plenty of good bacteria growing on every other wet surface in your tank/system.

Keeping the salt in the tank is a good choice as it will keep secondary infections at bay. The eye does look like it was the result of an injury, although the picture is not the best. Be aware that eye injuries do take a long time to heal especially if they are deep. If there was significant damage to the cornea or the lens there will likely be some scarring that won't ever go away (at least with OTC medicines).

Perhaps other can chime in, but I've heard good things about Melafix used to treat abrasions, etc.

Let us know how the process goes. Good luck.
Nick L.

#13 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

I will also agree that removing the carbon would not be the end of the world. While it does help out with removing various harmful chemicals, the loss of the beneficial "bio load" on it would not impact your system in the time it would take to possibly treat your SMB with whatever meds you choose. As others have said, you already have plenty of good bacteria growing on every other wet surface in your tank/system.

Keeping the salt in the tank is a good choice as it will keep secondary infections at bay. The eye does look like it was the result of an injury, although the picture is not the best. Be aware that eye injuries do take a long time to heal especially if they are deep. If there was significant damage to the cornea or the lens there will likely be some scarring that won't ever go away (at least with OTC medicines).

Perhaps other can chime in, but I've heard good things about Melafix used to treat abrasions, etc.

Let us know how the process goes. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the replies! I am new to this and you guys are extremely helpful. In return I will definitely keep you posted. I will try and get some better pictures as well.

Could I move my carbon temporarily into a bucket of aquarium water with a bubbler to keep the beneficial bacteria alive?

Other than salt, I wonder what the best treatment for an abrasion would be? It seems like it is starting to bother him. I caught him try to rub his eye up against a rock yesterday. Hopefully he won't make it worse? Also, I was thinking maybe it is pretty much healed and the white skin just needs to be rubbed off and he is trying to do that?

#14 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

The rubbing is a sure sign that the eye is bothering it. Again, remove anything with sharp/pointy edges. It will continue to rub so long as the irritation persists. As I said in my last post, try Melafix. I don't have much experience with it but I've heard its does a good job at healing wounds and can be picked up at most pet shops.

Yes you can keep the carbon in a bucket with air to keep it alive, but the small amount of biological filtration on it is not that significant if you lose it. Try to get us a better picture if possible.

Thanks.
Nick L.

#15 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

The rubbing is a sure sign that the eye is bothering it. Again, remove anything with sharp/pointy edges. It will continue to rub so long as the irritation persists. As I said in my last post, try Melafix. I don't have much experience with it but I've heard its does a good job at healing wounds and can be picked up at most pet shops.

Yes you can keep the carbon in a bucket with air to keep it alive, but the small amount of biological filtration on it is not that significant if you lose it. Try to get us a better picture if possible.

Thanks.

Thanks again! It seems to be doing better. I mean it has not gone away, but it seems like it is getting smaller? I attached hopefully what is a better picture. He can definitely see me out of that eye and reacts to other fish with it. I will probably use the Melafix after awhile if it doesn't get better. That stuff isn't cheap though. I got the medium sized bottle at Wal-Mart and with my 260 gallons needed to treat, it only lasted for like 3 doses. However, I suppose that it is supposed to clear these things up in 7 days? So I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

Attached Files

Edited by bjbass, 02 August 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

He's gonna die.

#17 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

He's gonna die.

Really that bad? It is definitely getting better. He seems fine other than not eating, so maybe that is an indication of what you are saying. His other eye looks completely healthy.

#18 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

He always says that. He's been forgetting the guitar lately though. :-({|=

#19 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

That sort of injury is consistent with many I have seen before. It does seem like there was a deep laceration down to the lens. Although it looks to be healing quite nicely, it may always have some cloudiness (scarring). Topical medications may continue to assist in the healing process. It is possible that it is not eating due to some pain associated with the injury. As you would guess, eye injuries can be painful. Let's hope there is no deep (internal) secondary infection in the eye. It doesn't appear so as the eye isn't swollen or buldging. Just keep offering your bass food daily until he gets back on a normal feeding schedule.

(BTW, what else is in the tank with it? 200+ gallons is a nice tank...care to share some tank pics?)
Nick L.

#20 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

That sort of injury is consistent with many I have seen before. It does seem like there was a deep laceration down to the lens. Although it looks to be healing quite nicely, it may always have some cloudiness (scarring). Topical medications may continue to assist in the healing process. It is possible that it is not eating due to some pain associated with the injury. As you would guess, eye injuries can be painful. Let's hope there is no deep (internal) secondary infection in the eye. It doesn't appear so as the eye isn't swollen or buldging. Just keep offering your bass food daily until he gets back on a normal feeding schedule.

(BTW, what else is in the tank with it? 200+ gallons is a nice tank...care to share some tank pics?)

I will share some tank pictures. I can get some more of the eye tonight to see if it is getting any better and some full tank pictures.

Edited by bjbass, 04 August 2010 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users