Treat diseased SMB eye - White cloudy

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

I wish I had a 200 gallon tank.........the things you could put in there! Instead I currently have a 36 :cry:

#22 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

I wish I had a 200 gallon tank.........the things you could put in there! Instead I currently have a 36 :cry:

Great news!

I went back to Wal-Mart today and I got peeled raw medium size shrimp. I thawed one by rinsing it with cold water and my bass kind of looked at it as it drifted to the bottom. He then snapped it up and swallowed it whole! Woohoo!

Hopefully after I feed him shrimp for awhile he will get used to me as a food source? Then maybe I can get him to take Massivore Delight?

Will smallmouth bass take floating pellets too?

#23 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

Oh and as promised. Here are some pictures of my tank. Sorry for the need to do some minor gravel vacuuming.

Attached Files

#24 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

He always says that. He's been forgetting the guitar lately though. :-({|=

I haven't forgotten, just haven't had the time!

#25 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

Wow! That's a great looking display tank. I suppose the eye is feeling better and it's appetite has improved. You should be able to eventually get the bass used to pellets, etc. It's all a matter of time and patience.
Nick L.

#26 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Wow! That's a great looking display tank. I suppose the eye is feeling better and it's appetite has improved. You should be able to eventually get the bass used to pellets, etc. It's all a matter of time and patience.

Thanks for the comments!

He isn't really active yet. He seemed rejuvenated after he ate though. I heard that you can impregnate the shrimp with pellets to kind of seed him into eating them later? I am going to start putting Massivore Delight inside his shrimp. Should I feed him one of these shrimp every day now?

#27 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the comments!

He isn't really active yet. He seemed rejuvenated after he ate though. I heard that you can impregnate the shrimp with pellets to kind of seed him into eating them later? I am going to start putting Massivore Delight inside his shrimp. Should I feed him one of these shrimp every day now?

The eye is definitely getting better. It is actually almost gone now.

The fin rot is still there though. I think the aquarium salt is healing that as well, but maybe it takes a really long time with salt to cure that? Any recommendations?

#28 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

Glad to hear your SMB is getting better! Awesome looking tank.... I love the color of the sand contrast with the rocks.

#29 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:15 AM

The eye is definitely getting better. It is actually almost gone now.

The fin rot is still there though. I think the aquarium salt is healing that as well, but maybe it takes a really long time with salt to cure that? Any recommendations?

My pumpkinseed had horrible fin rot once I put him in my tank, his back fin was raw and almost completely missing. I added some API Triple Sulfa to my tank for two doses and removed my filters during this treatment while adding aquarium salt. It was noticeably better by 48 hours and his fin came back perfectly. It was kind of expensive to treat my 36 gallon tank 2-3 times (a $15 box had about 4 treatments for my recommended size). It might be smart to get a smaller hospital tank and place him in that while you treat his tail rot, it'd be much cheaper.

#30 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

That's good that your bass is healing. Depending on how bad the fin rot is, it may leave the fin deformed. I have a sunfish that had a really bad case of it, her caudal fin was mostly gone by the time I got things turned around. It didn't grow back completely. A milder case will fully heal. You might try Melafix and Pimafix. You can use them together, they seem to speed regrowth. You'd have to check the label, but I think they don't affect your biofilter.

#31 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

That's good that your bass is healing. Depending on how bad the fin rot is, it may leave the fin deformed. I have a sunfish that had a really bad case of it, her caudal fin was mostly gone by the time I got things turned around. It didn't grow back completely. A milder case will fully heal. You might try Melafix and Pimafix. You can use them together, they seem to speed regrowth. You'd have to check the label, but I think they don't affect your biofilter.

I am not sure if I will need medicine or not. The aquarium salt has been doing the trick. Here are some updated pictures of the eye and fin. The eye is almost completely healed I think. Just a little cloudy, but I would say in a week or two it might be gone completely?

Attached Files

#32 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

As long as you see continued improvement, then I'd say you don't need any medication.

#33 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

As long as you see continued improvement, then I'd say you don't need any medication.

Somebody commented to me that in all the pictures I show the he always has clamped fins. If you look at his dorsal it is always down.

He does put his dorsal fin up occasionally, but it is down probably 99% of the time. What does that mean?

As I am looking up right now, he lifted it up for about 5 seconds in front of the pumpkinseed and the bluegill and put it back down.

#34 Guest_Moonbat_*

Guest_Moonbat_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Somebody commented to me that in all the pictures I show the he always has clamped fins. If you look at his dorsal it is always down.

He does put his dorsal fin up occasionally, but it is down probably 99% of the time. What does that mean?

As I am looking up right now, he lifted it up for about 5 seconds in front of the pumpkinseed and the bluegill and put it back down.

I have a L.M. Bass that is very unpridictable with his topfin. It is just the bass and a small plec in tank. He associates me with feeding so usually puts top fin down if i'm close to tank but not always. Remember these bass seem to be much more intelligent than some give them credit for. I truly wish I could help you to cure him. I wonder if you could section off half the tank with a devider so he has his non stress area to heal. He feels a bit threatened by the other fish and is natural for him to display top fin when they are close. Especially if damaged by these fish or recovering from his own wounds previous. Fish are very territorial and adding even a bass to other fish it will be shocked and maybe attacked by other fish. I might be wrong but just wanted to mention this in case it helps.
I have basically the same type of fish so if you care to talk and share info I'll be here.

Edited by Moonbat, 18 August 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#35 Guest_bjbass_*

Guest_bjbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have a L.M. Bass that is very unpridictable with his topfin. It is just the bass and a small plec in tank. He associates me with feeding so usually puts top fin down if i'm close to tank but not always. Remember these bass seem to be much more intelligent than some give them credit for. I truly wish I could help you to cure him. I wonder if you could section off half the tank with a devider so he has his non stress area to heal. He feels a bit threatened by the other fish and is natural for him to display top fin when they are close. Especially if damaged by these fish or recovering from his own wounds previous. Fish are very territorial and adding even a bass to other fish it will be shocked and maybe attacked by other fish. I might be wrong but just wanted to mention this in case it helps.
I have basically the same type of fish so if you care to talk and share info I'll be here.

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate you handing out your advice and potential help when/if I need!

The divider is a good idea if I can't get this resolved at any point. The fin and eye continue to get better.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users