Bridle Shiner

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BBastarache_*

Guest_BBastarache_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hello All,

I have been approached to breed locality specific bridle shiners by my state wildlife agency. I would appreciate any information and tips from anyone who has experience with this species or similar Notropis.

Thank you,

Brian

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hello All,

I have been approached to breed locality specific bridle shiners by my state wildlife agency. I would appreciate any information and tips from anyone who has experience with this species or similar Notropis.

Thank you,

Brian

welcome to the forum!!!!

hmmm...well they are protected here in the state. may i asked why you were approached? do you already have specimens? i have crossed them in my paths. but since they are protected i will not give out my source. im just curious as to who gets asked to breed one of our protected fishes?! lucky you.its nice to have another member from mass on here! hopefully you will stay active and we can get in the water together...hopefully you aren't just passing by? :mrgreen:

what i do know about his fish is they are hard to find from what ive seen from other members on here. i found them by accident.

Edited by bumpylemon, 26 August 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#3 Guest_BBastarache_*

Guest_BBastarache_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I have and do work on head-starting and propagating projects (mostly rare turtles and plants) with my students for Mass and US wildlife and non-profit orgs. I do not have any fish yet. They will be provided by Mass Wildlife. We once had a NANFA group that met at our school (Bristol Aggie in DIghton, MA), but it slowly faded. I would like to see it revived and I am trying to introduce NANFA to my contacts at Mass Wildlife and the good conservation work that NANFA members do in other states. I think that it will be a hard sell.

Brian

welcome to the forum!!!!

hmmm...well they are protected here in the state. may i asked why you were approached? do you already have specimens? i have crossed them in my paths. but since they are protected i will not give out my source. im just curious as to who gets asked to breed one of our protected fishes?! lucky you.its nice to have another member from mass on here! hopefully you will stay active and we can get in the water together...hopefully you aren't just passing by? :mrgreen:

what i do know about his fish is they are hard to find from what ive seen from other members on here. i found them by accident.

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

Awesome! Id like to see nanfa grow stronger in this state as well. Lucky you! Good luck on everything

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

I have and do work on head-starting and propagating projects (mostly rare turtles and plants) with my students for Mass and US wildlife and non-profit orgs. I do not have any fish yet. They will be provided by Mass Wildlife. We once had a NANFA group that met at our school (Bristol Aggie in DIghton, MA), but it slowly faded. I would like to see it revived and I am trying to introduce NANFA to my contacts at Mass Wildlife and the good conservation work that NANFA members do in other states. I think that it will be a hard sell.

Brian

Brian, I'm glad you're back and around, welcome to the Forum in this case. Our Conservation Research Grant this year went to someone working with this group of Notropis. Check this link on the Forum, grant winner, for the grant announcement. If you want to contact her I can give you the correct email.

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Penn State has been breeding Bridle shiner captively for the Commonwealth of PA for several years now. Perhaps get in touch with Jay Stauffer or someone else in the Forestry and Wildlife Dept? Please keep us apprised of your progress. We (Maryland DNR) just changed their status to extirpated in Maryland (not seen since 1980) and a glimmer of hope from a river in Delaware turned out to be a false alarm. Wayne Starnes is currently conducting a status assessment in Virginia as things do not look too good there either.

#7 Guest_BBastarache_*

Guest_BBastarache_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

Thank you. I would like to revive the local "chapter" once my thesis is finished. If there is anyone else in the area who wouldl like to work on that sooner I offer the aggie school/Bristol County Natural History Center as a free meeting place. (www.bcahs.com)

Brian

Brian, I'm glad you're back and around, welcome to the Forum in this case. Our Conservation Research Grant this year went to someone working with this group of Notropis. Check this link on the Forum, grant winner, for the grant announcement. If you want to contact her I can give you the correct email.

#8 Guest_BBastarache_*

Guest_BBastarache_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for the tip. I will contact Penn State today. I am hoping to set up one 460 (gallon tub) this year and try breeding one group/locality of N. bifrenatus this year to get the method down before we take on multiple tubs/localities. I will suggest that Mas Wildlife get us some fish from the most robust population to start... just incase there is catastrophic failure.

Thank you,

Brian

Penn State has been breeding Bridle shiner captively for the Commonwealth of PA for several years now. Perhaps get in touch with Jay Stauffer or someone else in the Forestry and Wildlife Dept? Please keep us apprised of your progress. We (Maryland DNR) just changed their status to extirpated in Maryland (not seen since 1980) and a glimmer of hope from a river in Delaware turned out to be a false alarm. Wayne Starnes is currently conducting a status assessment in Virginia as things do not look too good there either.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users