Breeding Fundulus dispar

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

I have a pair of F. dispar that I am trying to breed. I put them in a heavily planted 10g with fine leaved plants and plants with long feathery roots near the surface. I am feeding top quality flake food, frozen bloodworms, and there is a colony of blackworms living in the tank.
I would appreciate any tips.
Thanks.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

I have a pair of F. dispar that I am trying to breed. I put them in a heavily planted 10g with fine leaved plants and plants with long feathery roots near the surface. I am feeding top quality flake food, frozen bloodworms, and there is a colony of blackworms living in the tank.
I would appreciate any tips.
Thanks.

I found them fairly easy to spawn. Had them in a bare bottom tank full of hornwort, and filamentous algae. They were fed bloodworms, whiteworms, and possibly some flake. That was about it. An increasing day length might be helpful.

#3 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I found them fairly easy to spawn. Had them in a bare bottom tank full of hornwort, and filamentous algae. They were fed bloodworms, whiteworms, and possibly some flake. That was about it. An increasing day length might be helpful.

Thanks for the info. I guess I should be good to go. The lights are on 12 hours but the tank gets 2-3 hours of morning sun through the window before they come on. Sound good?

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

Sounds good to me, but my knowledge only goes so far, as my spawning was accidental. The fry just showed up. Surprised me.

#5 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:48 PM

Dispar are surprisingly easy to breed if well fed and water conditions are good. Mine were breeding from May until July. They like to deposit their eggs into moss on the bottom of tank. Feed them frozen mysis, bloodworms, some good flake foods for conditioning. You’ll notice the females getting plump and the males getting more colorful. Check the moss for eggs by hand, they look like tiny clear marbles.
Good Luck...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users