post dining agression

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

When I fed my shiners the other day I noticed something odd happened when they stopped eating.

First one of my blacknose dace started relentlessly chasing my longnose dace. Then my fathead minnows started chasing other fish around. Soon my whole minnow tank was a big chaos of fish chasing each other.

What happened? Did feeding somehow trigger agression in well fed minnows?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

They're just feeling fat and sassy. Sometimes I see the same thing right after a water change. The idea seems to be, "I feel great! I'm going to assert my place in the community!"

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

How often you feed your fish does contribute to how aggressive they are. I've found that multiple feedings a day (every few hours, like a human eats three meals a day) reduces aggression. On the days that I forget to feed them for 12 hours or more, when they do finally get the food, they fight over it and display the hoarding mindset.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

I agree with Newt that it is likely a response to feeling at the top of their game... I have also seen the same thing with a water change (particularly in the winter time when the tank water is heated to room temperature and the water from the tap is coming out of the python really cold)!

And I have never fed fish multiple times a day! Darters need to eat almost everyday, but many others are good at every other day or any combination of 3-5 times a week. Of course this also includes live plants and I can never keep snails alive in my tanks... so they may be feeding themselves.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

And I have never fed fish multiple times a day! Darters need to eat almost everyday, but many others are good at every other day or any combination of 3-5 times a week.

Oh, certainly. Different fish have different metabolisms, just like how a snake eats less frequently than a dog. In general the stalking hunters eat less frequently, while the grazing omnivores need more frequent feedings.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

My fish do the same thing. They usually get aggresive as soon as I start the feeding process. Opening the canopy is usually enough for my fish to get revved up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users