Bluefin killi sex

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

I had about 10 bluefin killies at the start of the winter/fall. Now I have 5 males. I had them at 80-83 for most of the winter. Now I'm at 74. But does the temps effect the sex of these killies? I hope I can find some females at lfs before it is time to go outside. That is how I got started on them.

#2 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

I could have swearn all 5 of my remaining bluefin killifish were males !!! But they are all outside now and have been for close to a month. I have noted fry on the side of the pool. About 2-3 mm the smallest. The only other fish they could be are flagfish. But I've seen them and they are bigger and stouter than these. Oh and the lake plants had starhead topminnow eggs, at least 3 that I've counted.

Attached Images

• 100_1265.JPG

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

I would say that your surviving fish have sexually matured, with the splits working in your favor. You're lucky!

#4 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

I would say that your surviving fish have sexually matured, with the splits working in your favor. You're lucky!

I may be lucky but I now have reason to think that one of the other occupants of the pool is the one spawning. There are some blue spotted sunfish in there as well. I got then early this year or late in 2010. They were about two inches long when they went in the pool, in early May. I had four maybe five(can remember everything), since one was found dead. And there are quite a few of these little buggers. I'll take pictures as the grow then I know.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users