Lowland Shiners (Pteronotropis stonei)

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_aquachromis_*

Guest_aquachromis_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

Does anyone keep lowland shiners? I'd be interested in hearing about your tank setups. I found this description of their habitat online:

Small to intermediate - and occasionally large - streams with moderate to swift flow and sandy substrates. The headwater streams where lowland shiners are found generally have moderate flow with alternating runs, scour pools, and often pools created by root dams. In headwaters, lowland shiners are generally found in scour or plunge pools, but in larger streams they are frequently observed in eddies immediately downstream from woody debris, overhanging woody vegetation, or aquatic macropytes.

Based on that, I think I'll switch out the gravel I currently have for sand in the tank they're going into. I already have some smooth river rocks, and some driftwood in the tank. I'll probably also add some plants in at least one corner. If you keep them, tell me about your tank.

Thanks,
Adam

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone keep lowland shiners? I'd be interested in hearing about your tank setups. I found this description of their habitat online:

I have kept them successfully in a 58 gallon show tank with little to no current... rather heavily planted on one side... with some open space on the other side...

good tank mates have been Jordanella floridae "American Flagfish" and Fundulus chrysotus "Golden Topminnow"... also had some swamp darters in there at one time that were OK...

they are smaller and somewhat more laid back than "normal" shiners...

by the way my personal experince would be not to ever even look in places like streams with moderate to swift flow and sandy substrates. The headwater streams where lowland shiners are found generally have moderate flow with alternating runs, scour pools, and often pools created by root dams. In headwaters, lowland shiners are generally found in scour or plunge pools, I have always found them in places like eddies immediately downstream from woody debris, overhanging woody vegetation, or aquatic macropytes. hanging in the less currentbehind an eel grass or downed branch. Essentially in the slow water, but watching the fast water for it to bring them food... in a tank they quickly adapt to my standby earthworm flakes... and quickly turn from teh clam cruzing shiner to a 'normal crazy zipping around one' at the smell of the flake in the water.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_aquachromis_*

Guest_aquachromis_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Your tank setup sounds similar to what I'm planning to do. This is the tank they're in now:

Posted Image

I'll be moving the tank to my living room in a few weeks and when that happens I'll add some more driftwood, remove some of the rocks, and add more plants. They'll be sharing the tank with some asian sucker mouth Garra flavatra.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users