Southern redbelly dace with black bellies

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone else have redbelly dace with black bellies? I haven't seen them like this before.

#2 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

Nice video, spring is in the water.
From the audio i believe it is a Black Lab with a fat belly and long tonque.
I see the Blacknose and Rosyside Dace too. Those Blacknoses get a nice irridescent burnt orange on the sides here.
I dont recall ever seeing such black bellies on SRBD. Such a great fish.
You will get to see their cousins in Virginia, the superb Mountain Redbelly Dace.

#3 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

Do you find these in a specific location? Those are some cool looking redbelly dace.

Edited by keepnatives, 11 April 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#4 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Nice video, spring is in the water.
From the audio i believe it is a Black Lab with a fat belly and long tonque.
I see the Blacknose and Rosyside Dace too. Those Blacknoses get a nice irridescent burnt orange on the sides here.
I dont recall ever seeing such black bellies on SRBD. Such a great fish.
You will get to see their cousins in Virginia, the superb Mountain Redbelly Dace.

Casper close,it's My best friend, Duke.A black lab/german shepherd mix.He doesn't have a fat belly ,yet.

Do you find these in a specific location? Those are some cool looking redbelly dace.

I collected them from a headwater stream in Ohio. I don't want to give away the location because it dries up and they are trapped in pools. The pool I got them from was about 60 feet long, 8 feet wide and about 12 to 18 inches deep. Their were hundreds in this one pool.One pass with the seine and had a couple pounds of them. I kept about 15 and released the rest.I was not aware of their black bellies at the time,they all looked the same. I collected them in August so they weren't in breeding colors.

Edited by MrCatfish, 11 April 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

That is interesting. Are their bellies black all the way around or just on the sides? Very neat looking.

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Very cool, I'd not seen them like that before. Will you also find the red belly in the same locality?

Great looking tank!

Todd

#7 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

That is interesting. Are their bellies black all the way around or just on the sides? Very neat looking.

One has black all the way underneath.The others have a white line.

Very cool, I'd not seen them like that before. Will you also find the red belly in the same locality?

Great looking tank!

Todd

Yes, all the SRBD I have came from the same place. They are only like this when they color up.Today they have white bellies.The ones with red are still colored up today though.

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

There are several different fish pigments that can appear red/orange, one of which is an intermediate step in the production of melanin. So depending on which pigments are involved, it might be a rather minor biochemical/hormonal glitch for the red pigment to continue to the next step and become melanin.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users