Yellowfin colouring.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Hello all

I have six Yellowin Shiners of differing sizes. What determines the males colouring up? Is it purely temperature or a combination of factors? Do they colour as juveniles?

I hope to have a go at spawning them soon and have identified what I think is a female ('she' looks for all the world, full of eggs) and one of the largest males has just started to colour up but not there yet. Water is currently at 72f and rising.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

I ahve never kept the fish before, but 72 degrees may be too high of water temp to trigger the breeding. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would expect temps in the mid 50's through mid 60's for breeding?

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

No that's not too high. Yellowfins and greenhead shiners continue spawning well into late spring and early summer when stream temps are in mid-70s.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hello all

I have six Yellowin Shiners of differing sizes. What determines the males colouring up? Is it purely temperature or a combination of factors? Do they colour as juveniles?

I hope to have a go at spawning them soon and have identified what I think is a female ('she' looks for all the world, full of eggs) and one of the largest males has just started to colour up but not there yet. Water is currently at 72f and rising.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

I keep yellowfins all the time, they are my local fish... They color up when they get excited... what makes them excited... well lots of food and sometimes they just turn on for that... other times they get real excited if I do a water change (cooler water than the high 70s that my house gets sometimes)... or sometimes, they notice that the days got longer and just turn on... and at least once they got excited just becasue I rearranged the rocks in the aquarium (I think they thought it looked like a chub nest).

I would imagine any combination would work... but if you are serious about trying to breed, I would suggest you do most of these... but especially give them a pile of stones in a pie pan that you can put in and later take out of the aquarium... they are pretty much obligate nect parasites... so they really need to see taht chub nest... or somethign that looks like one that you make for them.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks guys.

The male I spoke of is blowin' hot and cold, this morning his colour had gone, which suggets as mentioned that it isn't simply down to temp. I think I'll let them be for now and see what happens. When the time comes I will try the ideas suggested. Thanks again.

#6 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Further to the above:

I have Yellowfin males displaying in twos, charging up and down the tank. My query concerns colour (again!) They become almost completely black. They return to regular colouring when they've calmed down. I've never read mention of this, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have not seen darkening like that in mine... I know they can change color from 'normal' to 'excited' very quickly as we discussed above... but I have not seen a darkening.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_Markart_*

Guest_Markart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

I have not seen darkening like that in mine... I know they can change color from 'normal' to 'excited' very quickly as we discussed above... but I have not seen a darkening.

Thanks Michael. Yes it's very strange. When I first saw it I thought they were on their way out-only ever seen a darkening like it in sick discus. Second time I've witnessed this, I'll try and get pics next time.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users