Best way to move fish

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

I'm sorry the eel ate the rest of your fish.

I've had plants die off because of abrasion, too. A good technique for short moves, up to three days or so, is to wrap them in wet paper towel, put them in a plastic bag, and put them in a box. It keeps them from being broken apart by water sloshing and, for delicate plants like Cabomba caroliniana, is a good approach. Other plants, like Ceratophyllum demersum, do not suffer from abrasion all that much. It depends on the species.

Edited by EricaWieser, 29 May 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#22 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

These were in that jug for a total of 16 days. It's a miracle they survived at all.

#23 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

These were in that jug for a total of 16 days. It's a miracle they survived at all.

Meh, shrug shrug. Have you seen the way discus are transported?

And those are discus, one of the most sensitive fish ever.

#24 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

And those are discus, one of the most sensitive fish ever.

...sure but these guys are fine with 50% mortality rate or worse...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#25 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

This does not appear like particularly rough treatment to me. No worse than a ride in a cooler in the back of my pickup, for instance. And MY fishes don't get ozonized water, either!

Discus are certainly not as sensitive as, say, brook silversides. Not even close.

I've had fish live in a bucket for much longer than 16 days. MUCH longer! It's only when they get put into Irate's Tank O' Death that they expire.

#26 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

I had a silverside die once in the bucket streamside after being scooped up in the bucket of water. Never even saw the net.

My pond snails now seem to have been eradicated by predation. There were probably 40-50 total, although maybe only 6-8 of reproductive size. Ramshorns are surviving but eggs appear to be getting eaten.

#27 Guest_pylodictis_*

Guest_pylodictis_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

A cooler would be much better than a bucket, to maintain the water temp. I'd use one of those 5 or 10 gallon round water coolers used at sports games with an aerator. If you want the best stuff look to anglers transporting menhaden. If you use a square container they'll bunch up in the corner and stress themselves.

http://www.keepalive.net/

#28 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Well, I'm about to do this again. Going to New Jersey in February this time, so I probably should be a little more concerned about water temperature this time. I've never seen one of those round coolers for sale, but I'll look for one. I still can't get used to the idea of a rectangular container because of the likelihood of sloshing all over. I have a few more fish to move this time (only two tanks this time, but not as willing to leave anyone behind since I've come to realize that my southern coast fish are fairly irreplaceable here in the frozen north). I think I'll have one bucket with Enneacanthus and mollies, one with topminnows and my new eel, and one with plants and crayfish. I'm going to put a couple madtoms in breather bags I think, and maybe a crayfish too.

#29 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

I wouldn't put stuff in a container that is likely to be sloshing around. I've seen plenty of folks do it, but inevitably that stuff will rub up against your fish and cause abrasions I think. Never put pebbles or small rocks either. I have seen others crush fish that way and kill them.

Cheers
Peter

you can cut down on abrasion by putting a bag inside the bucket, bucket better than big square cooler if you dont baffle it , too much momentum during stops etc

#30 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

I still think that for bigger fish and longer trips I want the filter. I'll have three seasoned sponge filters this time. I do need to put some thought into anchoring them so they don't move around.

#31 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

Can anyone recommend a fish-safe adhesive to attach the bottoms of the sponge filters (which are hard plastic) to the bottom of the bucket to keep them from moving around? It doesn't need to be a super strong bond, just enough to withstand water sloshing around, but it obviously can't leach anything into the water.

#32 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

Drop of silicone, but you would not get a quick enough dry time to keep the filter alive. Maybe a base siliconed down that the filters could set into. Home depot sells some two part water safe epoxies that cure under water.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#33 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

I do have more filters not currently in use, so I will be able to glue the base down several days before I need to move the filter into it.

#34 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Then clear 100% silicone from Home Depot should be fine. Don't get the kitchen and bath formula as it has mildew inhibitors. One drop should hold fine. Might want to scuff both points of contact up with a bit of sand paper. Won't be too difficult to remove if you decide to.

#35 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Super glue gel (reef people use it on corals) or Shoe Goo / Sportsmans Goop will hold better than silicone. Or a 2-part epoxy. Silicone just doesn't bond well to plastics; sanding helps a little but not enough. You need a bond strong enough to resist bumping with nets and moderate pull on the air tubing.

What i've done many times is just let the sponge cylinders float around free in the cooler while traveling, without the base and lift tube. They're lightweight and soft, and i have not noticed any fish damage. If traveling multiple days, then I'll put on the base and tubing and run them properly with air while stopped for the night. Depends on the species and density of fish you're carrying of course. I only keep small fish, mostly 4" or less

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#36 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

My fish are all under 4", but the density will be pretty high in a 5 gallon bucket that will need to be less than completely full, just because there are a lot of them. We'll be in the car a long time each day, so I think I want to run them continuously.

I'll look for super glue gel.

#37 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

suction cup , or a wire running down side of bucket

#38 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

I suggested silicone, because I thought the idea was for it to come out fairly easily. The suction cup is a great idea.

#39 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

Buckets can be replaced for $3 or less. Filter bases maybe $5. Some of the fish, not at all. I'd want to use the strongest thing available that's 100% fish-safe.

How would you attach a suction cup to the filter base? These are the free-standing cylindrical sponges that don't really have a convenient attachment for a hook.

Edited by gzeiger, 11 January 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#40 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

What about epoxy coated neodymium magnets? Removable with a really strong connection, and completely reusable for plenty of projects.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users