Etheostoma gracile

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

hi together,
i recently recognized my personal interest in darters, especially e. fusiforme, edwini and gracile. can you help me with general information about these fish? where and how do they live, what aspects have to be considered as far as care in a tank is considered?
kind regards
torben

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

These species are all unusual among darters in that they live in warm, weedy swamps rather than cool, flowing streams. They live in the Gulf and Atlantic coastal plains of the southeastern US.

I have not kept E. edwini, but I have found that the other two species do well in a planted aquarium with gentle water movement. Room temperature is fine. A sandy substrate is most natural for them.

These darters have very small mouths, even compared to other darters, so feed accordingly. Smaller individuals even have trouble with blackworms and bloodworms. They will eat daphnia, copepods, and other tiny crustaceans. I have had E. fusiforme that adapted to crushed flake food. Tankmates should be other small, gentle species such as pygmy sunfishes and small killifishes and livebearers.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

These species are all unusual among darters in that they live in warm, weedy swamps rather than cool, flowing streams. They live in the Gulf and Atlantic coastal plains of the southeastern US.

I have not kept E. edwini, but I have found that the other two species do well in a planted aquarium with gentle water movement. Room temperature is fine. A sandy substrate is most natural for them.

These darters have very small mouths, even compared to other darters, so feed accordingly. Smaller individuals even have trouble with blackworms and bloodworms. They will eat daphnia, copepods, and other tiny crustaceans. I have had E. fusiforme that adapted to crushed flake food. Tankmates should be other small, gentle species such as pygmy sunfishes and small killifishes and livebearers.

Agree with the above... I have E.edwini now and they also will take flake food (at least the earthworm flake that I offer them)... also I have a 5 inch or so jumprock in there with them... they do fine with him even though he is larger, he ignores them totally...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users